[3830] OhQP K8TE Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K8TE.Bill.Mader@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] OhQP K8TE Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2020 15:22:17 +0000
                    Ohio QSO Party - 2020

Call: K8TE
Operator(s): K8TE
Station: K8TE

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: New Mexico
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:   23      2
   40:   25      8
   20:   74     11
   15:
   10:
--------------------
Total:  122     21  CW Mults = 41  Ph Mults = 17  Total Score = 13,050

Club: Albuquerque DX Assn

Comments:

What a difference the State QSO Party Challenge makes!  While there were many
stations I couldn’t hear in NM, many of the pileups were unruly and busy!
It’s fascinating to listen to everyone calling on exactly the same (CW)
frequency.  Fascinating to me but frustrating for those running them!  Put away
the decoders and practice receiving more.

After working the one 20m SSB station I could hear, and 10 CW stations, I
decided to call CQ OH.  With an 8 call, that was a disaster!  Apparently, many
don’t use the SCP.  So, after 1649 UTC I used K8TE/5.  That may have squelched
some, but others continued answering my CQ’s.  One guy even worked me twice!
What is that about?  Another from TX had to send everything twice without my
asking!  He wasn’t alone.

As is typical during August in NM, I had nearby lightning.  I shut down and
disconnect if it comes within 20 miles.  The next 10 miles can disappear very
quickly!  That cost me nearly four hours just when 40m was getting better.
After that, the QRN was horrible—no surprise.  75/80m was challenging and 40m
wasn’t much better.  Thanks to all who patiently responded to my “AGN”
hoping I would finally copy you.  That paid off as six of my last twelve QSO’s
were additional mults!

I had my Please Copy badge (with a red circle and diagonal line through the text
thanks to AE6JV) hanging nearby.  It didn’t always help.  One op said
“Geauga County” as if we might understand that through the QRM and QRN.
Many ops did the same with their counties and many were not it the Call History
requiring repeats.  Create and use a script:  “59 Geauga GEAU” for your
exchange.  Use a (good) recording, if at all possible.

Jim, K8MR, was mostly elusive out here.  Great job Jim!  You’re a QSO party
animal!  I wish I could have made more than the three meager contacts with you.
One was a mult and several others that I missed were not.  One of the 48
counties I worked was a new one thanks to AE8M in Brown County.

I was also chasing HI ops in their QP, just not any where near as many.  While
the K-Index was slightly elevated, it never left the green.  Propagation
wasn’t horrible or great, but it was sufficient for those with halfway decent
antennas.  Dave, KA6BIM, agreed to let me use his antenna farm, but the coax
loss to OR was just too much to overcome.

Thanks to all who gave me contacts!  I worked many of you twice and five on
three bands.  Bob, KW8N, of course, gets the Gold Star for four contacts.  That
isn’t easy with my pair of lowly dipoles.  Next year, I WILL have one or more
towers and beams in the air!  Currently, they are configured for (and on the)
ground wave and very ineffective.  Remember the NMQP the second weekend of
April.  73, Bill, K8TE