[3830] 50FallSprnt KR1ST Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] 50FallSprnt KR1ST Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2020 16:55:16 +0000
                    50 MHz Fall Sprint - 2020

Call: KR1ST
Operator(s): KR1ST
Station: KR1ST

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN21
Operating Time (hrs): 4

Club: Mt Airy VHF Radio Club

Comments:

Rig: IC-7300
Amp: Gemini HF-1k
PWR: kW
Ant: M2 6M3

This was a fun and relaxed Sprint. A nice way to spend a Saturday evening. I was
20 minutes late and when I looked at the bandscope I thought I already had
missed the sprint because I saw only 2 SSB and 1 CW signal on the scope. I
always start contests in SSB because there is plenty of time to work the
stations I can only work on FT8 later. Now it seems that people don't even try
CW/SSB any more and go straight to FT8. That's fine, but don't complain if the
FCC does the sensible thing and takes all but 10kHz on 6m away from us. We
obviously don't need more than that.

The oddest thing happened on MS, and from conversations it seemed that it
happened to others as well. There plenty of rocks to go around and the signals
were strong, but I felt like no one was hearing me. Even QSO's with stations
like W4IMD that usually are in the bag within a minute or two, took a long time
and several attempts to complete. I had screens full of W4IMD calling me back,
but he could just not hear me. That happened on attempts with other stations as
well. I also was able to see both sides of QSO attempts from others who also
could not seem to complete. Perhaps there was just too much QRM on the rocks and
I should have changed frequencies.

I did only notice some really brief tropo openings, but they were too short for
me to be useful.

73,
--Alex KR1ST

Mode break-down: