[3830] WWDigi K6OK SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WWDigi K6OK SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2020 17:03:26 +0000
                    World Wide Digi DX Contest - 2020

Call: K6OK
Operator(s): K6OK
Station: K6OK

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CM98
Operating Time (hrs): 23

  160:   30    11
   80:   38    21
   40:  190    51
   20:  286    68
   15:   19     7
   10:
-------------------
Total:  563   158  Total Score = 256,434

Club: Mother Lode DX/Contest Club

Comments:

Great contest, much better than last year's.  I don't know if it is due to
improvements to software, more experienced operators or both, but I enjoyed long
stretches of completed QSOs without repeats or callbacks.  Yes, there were some
broken QSOs that gave problems, but overall the contest felt a lot less chaotic
than last year, a smoother experience. Propagation was better (2019, A index
over 30, yesterday A=10) but still not that good. The usual night opening on 20m
to EU was mostly absent.  Best DX was all equatorial or sub-polar.

The best part of the contest is also it's worst aspect, the ability to work
stations in the usual FT8 watering holes for points. It's the best because
that's where the best DX and grids are to be found, and it's the worst because
it feels so s-l-o-w after you just got done doing FT4 or contest FT8.  This is
not a rate contest (I guess you could make it one if you only did FT4), it
rewards slowing down and chasing distant mults and grids.

I did not work any of the elusive 7-point QSOs (over 18000 km distant). The
closest I got was copying a CQ from FR4OM on Reunion at -24 dB, I called but he
disappeared into the mud. My log shows I worked five 6-point QSOs, a 5Z in Kenya
and 5 different in ZS land. Spotting networks showed a couple of ZS's were on
the air a lot, maybe they were trying to take advantage of the distance-weighted
scoring?  (Hint to VK's and ZL's: this contest has your name on it).  It was
nice to see so many YB stations on the air. I worked 43 of them for 5-pointers.

Thanks to the contest organizers and the software developers for making this
contest possible. Great fun. Man, this contest will be a hoot once we some
sunspots!