[3830] WWDigi WA7BNM SOSB20 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WWDigi WA7BNM SOSB20 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2020 16:29:46 +0000

Comments:

[log removed from comments]

Rig: Icom IC-7610 100 watts
Antenna: SteppIR DB-36 at 70 ft
Antenna: Optibeam OB16-3 at 50 ft
Software: WSJT-X

First QSO: 1256Z
Last QSO: 0228Z

Nice to see much greater participation this year. Only operated in the
designated FT4/FT8 contest band segments, but realize from reading others'
comments that I missed mults by not spending time on the legacy FT8 frequencies.
While failing to work 9A1A, I realized that there was really no reason to keep
trying since there were no country mults and I had already worked his mult -
another PY or JA would be just as useful, and easier.

I tried to keep my transmit frequency in a clear area on WSJT-X's spectral
display, but recognize that it's only clear from my perspective. At the other
end of a QSO it may be congested. I had a couple of Qs that I completed by
switching my transmit frequency from one seemingly clear area to another. What I
like is that it's easy to switch between S&P and CQing since you can use the
same transmit frequency for both.

I only used WSJT-X for software, kept a manual list of calls worked and X'd off
the multipliers on a paper field map - combination of modern software and old
school! Used the ARRL's Grid Distance Calculator to calculate QSO point values:

https://contest-clubs.arrl.org/griddistancecalc.php

73 de Bruce, WA7BNM   (bhorn@hornucopia.com)