[3830] NA Sprint CW VA3AMX QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, va3amx@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW VA3AMX QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 22:44:04 +0000
                    NA Sprint CW Contest - September

Call: VA3AMX
Operator(s): VA3AMX
Station: VA3AMX

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Ottawa
Operating Time (hrs): 4

   80:   0        0
   40:  27        3
   20:   7        1
---------------------
Total:  34     Mults = 15  Total Score = 510

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Team:

Comments:

Hi folks,
Just installed a new vertical antenna (Hy-gain DX-88) and needed some testing.
The WA7 Contest calendar shows NA Sprint start tonight 8PM EST, so why not give
a try? Well, I never participated on NA sprints and boy I was initially
overwhelmed with the exchange and the with the QSY. Took me a while to get used
to. Maybe because I was not really prepared and did not know the tricks of this
contest.

Super fun but not easy with QRP with stations QSYing all the time.
As usual with my QRP station, calling CQ is useless and S&P on this contest
is remarkably interesting, but I was not there to compete but to see how the
antenna was working.

I had a late start on 20m where it appears that people where winding down and
going to 40 or 80. So, 40 it was as 80 is useless on CW for my setup - I could
not manage to make 40 and 80 working together.
Also, my first time doing contest with the Elecraft KX2. Definitely not a radio
for doing contests – too small. I still prefer the K2 better – I think I
need bigger VFO knobs and controls (hi hi).

I am sure I made a lot of mistakes and copied some reports wrong – in that
sense, my sincere apologies to you if I made you miss my points. I did have fun
(aside of the stress of not knowing much about this contest) and I hope I can do
it again but better prepared.

73 and see you on bands!
VA3AMX - Eric