[3830] TBDC N1LN Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bemeier@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] TBDC N1LN Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 14:03:09 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Pre-Stew

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 8

Total:  QSOs = 400  Total Score = 1,539

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

In prep for the Stew I found 4 open terminating resistors in my long beverages.
Not sure how long they were bad, but the beverage performance certainly improved
after replacing them. Then, late afternoon, I noticed a S9 pulsing buzz on
1.814. Initially I thought it was on the entire band as it was about 20khz wide,
but fortunately not. So, when it came time to get on I moved up to about 1.826
and the noise was gone and the band was quiet.

What a great night for 160! Wow, was it quite here at my QTH.  Rate was good and
lots of EU until I broke for dinner around 2330. When I got back on at 0039 the
band was still quite but not much EU. I stayed on until 0400, but the rate was
so slow I was dozing off, so time to shut down.  Missed another EU sunrise.

Got back on at 0930 and was hoping some of the JA, VK and ZL stations on most
mornings would be calling in, but was not to happen.  Finally at 1132, after my
sunrise, JH2FXK answered my CQ!  Two NA Qs later it was time to shut down.

Thanks for the Qs, the fun and the station shake down. Oh yes, before shutting
down I checked around the band and found the pulsing noise was back but it was
at 1825 and still only on the North Beverage. No clue what it might be yet.

73,
Bruce N1LN