[3830] CQWW SSB K4BAI SOAB Classic HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4bai@att.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB K4BAI SOAB Classic HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2020 02:08:37 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: K4BAI
Operator(s): K4BAI
Station: K4BAI

Class: SOAB HP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: GA/USA
Operating Time (hrs): 23:09

  160:
   80:   16     9        9
   40:   74    18       34
   20:  220    20       36
   15:  243    25       57
   10:  160    12       22
------------------------------

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

I hadn't done this one from home in quite a long time.  Have mostly been at
multi op stations.   Shortened the 80M wire so it would load on the SSB band and
it worked fine, but the bad seemed weak to me.  Not much QRN, but just weak
signals and I didn't get heard very well.  The other bands were fine, in fact
10M was much better than I could have hoped.  Worked some Eu on 10M Saturday
morning.  But on Saturday afternoon, the beam hung up on the south stop and I
couldn't get it to move off due south for the rest of the contest.  Worked only
a few Europeans on 20M on Sunday off the back of the beam.  Felt like I worked
most of the South and Central American, Mexican, and Caribbean stations on the
high bands.  KU8E had come down Friday afternoon to repair the feedline to my
zepp antenna that the yard crew had clipped and I had jury rigged a repair job
that wasn't intended to be permanent.  It had also for some time been
intermittent on return to receive, but never intermittent on transmit.  We
replaced a coax jumper and thought we had fixed the problem, but it became
intermittent on received almost immediately after I tried to use it on 40M.
Can't figure out what is causing that.  It must be that the balun has gone bad
or the antenna tuner has developed a problem.  Hope can get it repaired before
SS CW.  SS CW will be bad enough if the beam is still stuck south, but worse if
I can't use the zepp as an alternate antenna.  Thanks for all QSOs.  One
highlight was VK4QH and a YB9 well after daylight Saturday on 40M.  Other was
listening and calling but not being able to raise BY4HZ on 15M Friday night.
But, almost no one else (except some JAs) was able to get through his rx noise
for a QSO.  JAs were quite strong on 15 and 20, but I didn't get up early enough
to hear any on 40M.  Worked several KH2 stations on 15M Friday night.  Hope
everyone had fun in the contest.  73, John, K4BAI.