[3830] CQWW SSB VE4VT SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VE4VT SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2020 14:20:08 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: VE4VT
Operator(s): VE4VT
Station: VE4VT

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 40
Radios: SO2R

  160:   38     3        2
   80:  211    10       12
   40:  969    19       32
   20: 1118    26       73
   15:  631    21       48
   10:   54     6        7
------------------------------

Club: Radiosport Manitoba

Comments:

Well as others have noted, propagation was definitely a challenge. From here in
the upper black hole, we could see the benefits of an increase in SF as improved
propagation in the north-south directions on 20/15/10.  However any paths that
tried to pass through the enlarged aurora circle were severely interrupted.

10m opened for a short period on Saturday afternoon to very deep South America.
Sunday afternoon was better with small pockets opening as far north as Zone 10.
I even enjoyed a run on 10m which I havent done for several years.

15m opened to zones 14/15 for about 10 minutes about 1600z Saturday. On Sunday,
there was some weak zone 14 signals on the skewed path but not strong enough to
establish contacts. Contacts with stations south of southern Spain were possible
both days.  Basically all non aurora paths.  The increase in SF meant that
single hop contacts to the entire periphery of the United states was now
possible which has not occurred for a few years.  There were no signals from
Asia received here.

20m was great for North-South paths but the openings to Europe were short lived
both days. Slightly better on Saturday than Sunday.  The paths to Asia was
actually better on Sunday but still very weak with only a handful of JA stations
able to copy me.

40m was only open to Europe around our sunset but very weakly. It was difficult
to get the attention of any stations in Europe however. No Asian stations were
received.

80m is always a challenge with a S9+ noise floor here on a suburban lot.  The
lack of big contest stations in Zone 8 was evident.

160m was mostly a wasteland with only a few stations stateside worked.

Since propagation for DX was limited, I turned this contest into a practise
session for Sweepstakes in a few weeks.  I had several hours with the rate meter
over 200. It was almost like being a needed DX station at times :)

Since CQWW RTTY a month ago had similar propagation, it won't surprise me if we
see similar challenging conditions at the end of November for the CQWW CW event.

73 and thanks for the Q's

Ed  VE4VT

Rigs: Icom IC7700 & 746Pro
Antennas: Optibeam OB11-5 @51'