[3830] CQWW SSB K2DRH SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k2drh@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB K2DRH SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 06:05:20 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: K2DRH
Operator(s): K2DRH
Station: K2DRH

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:   59    14       30
   40:  213    26       59
   20:  237    32       86
   15:  249    28       78
   10:   28     7       12
------------------------------
Total:  786   107      265  Total Score = 725,400

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

First time in CQWW in over 20 years and the first time at this QTH.   Normally
in the Keys but not this year.  I’m a VHF contester and can hold my own in
domestic contests but my station is really not set up for DX contesting.  So I
did what I used to do back at my old QTH, try and work all zones and DXCC using
packet (now telnet) spots.  Missed Zones 17 and 18 but did work well over 100
unique countries – just not on any given band. Really didn’t do any running
the first night – wow was it crowded!   Just came in the shack every hour or
so and swept through the band map mults.

Second day I tried running a bit but got very little going on 15 or 20 with only
a tribander.  Found a great spot at 7161 and got a nice run Saturday evening but
was disappointed to see that while the band was filled with DX spots, very few
DX called me even with a KW and a 2el yagi at 50 meters!  Had a fun hour but 75%
of them were domestic zero pointers, so I went back to my band map chasing
tactics with a little old fashioned dial twisting thrown in.

Think conditions were better Saturday Zulu time but really no bargain either
day.  Spent way too much time in unruly pileups Sunday trying and mostly
succeeding for new mults, but a couple not so rare country mults I just gave up
on after it got out of control with endless calling by obviously starved non
contesting DXers.