[3830] CQWW SSB VE4GV SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VE4GV SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 17:41:51 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: VE4GV
Operator(s): VE4GV
Station: VE4GV

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: MB
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:
   80:
   40:   99     7        8
   20:  803    22       45
   15:  102    15       30
   10:   74     3        4
------------------------------
Total: 1078    47       97  Total Score = 309,004

Club: Radiosport Manitoba

Comments:

Part time effort. Closed up the cottage QTH on Sat so no operating til Sat
afternoon.
The Good:

Finally some activity on 10 m from up here - it was the Brazilian QSO party with
a couple of Argentinian stations thrown in. Signals seemed strong but not much
in the way of other DX.

15 m showed some signs of life with some decent signals and better propagation.

My station continues to perform well for domestic contests. This year's CQ WW DX
was basically a tune up for ARRL SS. Had a couple of hours of 330+ runs to teh
US which was fun. Not a lot of points...but fun.

The Bad

20 m continues to frustrate us up here. Eastern Eu DX is non existent.I can't
remember the last time I didn't work staples liek LZ9W, tons of DLs, no G
stations, few Scandinavians and only one or two Italians. Ridiculous! It seems
that propagation stops at far west of Eu and Africa and no hops east of that.

I sure miss being at PJ2T like last year.

Lack of seasoned contest ops at several DX locations due to Covid resulted in
less than experienced ops trying to handle deep, unruly CQ WW DX pileups. They
don't have the skills for pileup control and that resulted in some bad behavior,
ops calling on top of each other, unnecessary QRM etc. These Dx stations' rates
that were much less than optimal.

Urban noise on 80 and 160 essentially makes then unusable for DX, even if I
COULD here them ) which I can't.  Remote receive from my quieter cottage QTH not
allowed by rules.

See you in SS from MB!

Rob VE4GV