[3830] NA Sprint SSB N1RM HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n1rm@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint SSB N1RM HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2020 15:51:54 +0000
                    NA Sprint SSB Contest - November

Call: N1RM
Operator(s): N1RM
Station: N1RM

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 4

   80:   67     1.2
   40:  116     2.7
   20:    6      .1
---------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

My first sprint. I haven't really figured it all out yet, but it was lots of
fun. The dynamic is really fast-paced so I'm glad it was only 4 hours. Like
others, I found 20M to be a bust for me, so I went to 40M early. When rates got
low I kept trying 80M, but did find any sprint activity until about the last
hour and a half. With my mediocre 80M antenna I didn't have as many calls to
work as on 40M. There were many times when I would catch the end of a QSO and
jump in to call a new station, but get beat out by someone loud that I had
already worked. I figured out that by going up the band to the first clear spot
and calling CQ, I could sometimes catch "the one that got away".

With the frenzied pace, I expected things to get a little rancorous, but I found
folks were friendly and seemed to be enjoying themselves. It was a nice group. I
did notice that there were many overlapping loud stations when there appeared to
be plenty of open spaces in the band map.  Other than that, it was a great
experience.

Thanks for the Qs!
Rick
N1RM