[3830] SS SSB WB4OMM SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, sszabo1@cfl.rr.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB WB4OMM SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 01:28:20 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: WB4OMM
Operator(s): WB4OMM
Station: WB4OMM

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: NFL
Operating Time (hrs): 15

------------
  160:
   80:   42
   40:   46
   20:  157
   15:   80
   10:
------------

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

I went to bed Saturday night at 1AM, needing 9 sections, and was really
concerned because I needed MAR, PE, AL, MS, and WCF in that bunch (I was
relieved to have most of the one’s that give me trouble – but usually WCF,
AL and MS are on 40/80 on Sat night because they are so close!).  Sunday monring
I  get up – and was reminded about a BestBuy purchase that became available
for my daughter – an Nintendo Switch.  Our local store was already out, I had
to order on line and then drive to the Sanford store (45 miles away) to get it.
With breakfast we stopped for, the XYL and I got home around 12:45 pm.  I
figured I’m screwed.  I get on 20M and figure to hell with it, I’m just
gonna call CQ with my 100w.  The first two folks that call me are MS, and AL!  I
couldn’t believe it.  I saw spots for PE and  WCF in the next hour, got them
both (N4TP was the WCF - copied him FB on 20M!).
Still needed MAR, QC, EWA and ONN.  So went to 15M, found a clear freq, and
called CQ again.  EWA, QC, and ONN called me in the next hour!
With only MAR needed (and hard to get…I’m aware of previous years), I’m
CQing on 15M and 20M until 15M gives out here at 4:30 PM.  While on 20M I’m
looking all over and come across what I thought was a VE9 calling someone,
he’s about a 44 signal and under several other stations.  I call him, he comes
back, and he sure is a VE9 in MAR!  He gave me a “47 B” exchange if that
tells you anything.  I got the Sweep just before 5:00 PM Sunday!!!  I guess when
someone spotted me, it was a mini-pile-up for 8 or 10 at a time.  Worked for
me!
AA4TI and I had a conversation (by e-mail) about how bad the operators were in
many of the pile-ups. Never heard so much uncourteous behavior in all my years
of SS.  Hope it was an aberration, and not a vision of thing to come.
73 and a safe and Happy Thanksgiving to all.  Steve WB4OMM