[3830] SS SSB WX3B SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wx3b@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB WX3B SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 15:26:12 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: WX3B
Operator(s): WX3B
Station: WX3B

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: MDC
Operating Time (hrs): 11.3

------------
  160:    0
   80:  248
   40:  711
   20:   40
   15:    5
   10:    0
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Having set aside one day to operate in Sweepstakes SSB this year, I decided to
follow my good friend Bill K3WI's strategy for maximum fun by showing up just
after 7:00am Sunday morning as FRESH MEAT.  It worked.  My goal was to make
1,000 QSOs as quickly as possible - I had a ball of fun and stayed in the chair
until 2:00pm+ when I took my first break. 40 meters was so good, I just couldn't
convince myself to QSY to 20 except for a brief period.

Very few multipliers were called, in fact almost all of my QSOs were from
running.

20 sounded good Sunday afternoon - and it was temping to try 15 but I avoided it
when I heard mostly W6's running like crazy...though I did hear Dave N3RD (LOUD)
doing well calling CQ.

I went to 75 meters early and maintained a reasonable (albeit slower) rate
there; it was noisy at my QTH however signals were loud and short skip was
excellent.  I managed a few QSOs with my RX beverages that wouldn't have happed
without them.

One thing that surprised me this year was how loud the west coast was on 75
meters at 7:15am Sunday morning.  I also was surprised by the loud stations on
40 meters from West coast near high noon my time.  The 40 meter band supported a
great variety of short, medium and long skip Sunday as the morning progressed.

Like others have mentioned, I was over-joyed to welcome a number of stations
with a "20" check - most that were new hams, some that were YOUNG -
into the fray of Sweepstakes.  These new operators were very excited to learn
how the game is played. There were a significant number of callers licensed
after 2015 that were operating this year.

I am proud of my friend and neighbor Jay, KC3EMA, who has been building his
contest station and has recently purchased a legal limit amplifier and added it
to the mix.  I believe he got his first taste of a Sweepstakes run on 40 meters
and he LIKED it - I bet he will be back for more.

Finally - a hearty thank you to ALL PVRC members that year after year, enter
this contest.  This especially applies to folks that are die-hard CW operators
that somehow get into SSB anyway (truly taking one for the team).

I plan a similar effort for next weekend's CQWW CW contest by arriving Saturday
evening at 7:00pm and operating (most of) the remaining portion of the contest,
focusing on my elusive goal of making an 80 meter DXCC and seeing how well
10(???) & 15 open.

Happy thanksgiving to all!

73,

Jim  WX3B