[3830] CQWW CW K4XL SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, grimm@sbc.edu
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K4XL SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 01:05:28 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: K4XL
Operator(s): K4XL
Station: K4XL

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: Amherst, VA
Operating Time (hrs): 29

  160:   46    13       25
   80:  133    14       47
   40:  447    29       82
   20:  409    22       74
   15:  280    22       74
   10:   48    16       24
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

For a die hard DXer, this test is always fun!
The improving conditions made for exceptional fun this time!
I started reasonably well on Friday evening with some nice runs on 40 and 80.
also picked up a few on 160 late in the evening.  Unfortunately, with only 4
hours of sleep, my old body paid a price on Saturday when I kept drifing off to
sleep! Nevertheless, I had some great runs on 15 and 20 and managed to pick off
a few on 10.  Twenty was great with lots of sigs almost any time of the day.
Saturday morning on 40 gave me a few Asians for mults.  However, the real treat

for Asia came on Sunday afternoon on 20 with a nice run of JAs.

I probably spent too much time chasing 7Q6M on 10 but it paid off in a new band
country for me and a nice mult in the contest.  Ten surprised me on Sunday with
a fair opening into Europe.

Every thing worked and no glitches in either hard or software...with one major
exception.  Starting out on 40 meters on Friday night I couldn't figure outwhy
the Europeans seemed to be in North Africa! On Saturday morning a quick look at
the tower told me that the winds of last week had caused the DB18E to slip about
30 degree.  This reuqired me to menatlly adjust the beam headings by 30 degrees
everytime I did a little S&P.  As time wore on this caused more and more
difficulties as my brain began to slow down!

My goal was 1000 Qs and a million points.  I met both of them with some to
spare and had a whale of a time in the test!

Stay safe and thanks for the Qs.

Rig: FTDX101MP Alpha 78
Ant: SteppIR DB18E, dipole for 80, folded umbrella on 160