[3830] CQWW CW K2AV SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k2av.guy@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K2AV SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 02:06:09 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: K2AV
Operator(s): K2AV
Station: K2AV

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 4.5

  160:   45    17       30
   80:
   40:   80    22       76
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Just a little jump in for a little light entertainment on a weekend full of
non-ham necessities. Nothing ready on high bands. Got on 160 1.5 kW on the
Trident L/FCP. Pretty much of a slog down there.

Then decided to chase mults on the 40 meter part of the 160/80/40 Trident L and
see how the trident wire would work in the CQWWCW.

Wasn't expecting a lot, just wanted to see if it was decent, or even half-way
decent in competition. I was sure it was no competition for shorty forty yagis,
etc. The goal of the Trident L is to get efficient single wire performance on
160/80/40, using the feed, tuning, wire and supports of a 160 L/FCP. It's
designed for those who could barely get up the 160L, with no more room for other
low band antennas other than poor multiband verticals. Zero expectation that it
could compete with multi-wire antennas or yagis. The bend/horizontal on my L/FCP
is at 66 feet. 40 meter operation is like an end-fed-halfwave L with its
bend/horizontal at 66 feet. Got a shock.

Operated QRO S&P 101 minutes on 40 meters: 80 QSO's in 22 zones and 76
countries.

A fair number of those were through a pileup. Worked VK6LW, had to be coming in
long path at 21:42Z. Also heard a JA a couple minutes later, but couldn't raise
him. My jaw was resting on the floor. After the contest worked VU2GSM in regular
QSO at 0145Z. Simply was not expecting that kind of performance.

It clearly is NOT a 2 element yagi, but apparently no slouch either. I'll take
it. That exceeds what I was trying to accomplish. It already does nicely in USA
contests like CWT's.

Pattern on the antenna is on k2av.com. 270 degree 3dB bandwidth with maxima at
345 and 45 degrees.

K3 + KPA1500 + 160/80/40 Trident L over FCP.

73 & Stay Safe,
Guy K2AV