[3830] CQWW CW W4LT SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW W4LT SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 03:02:23 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: W4LT
Operator(s): W4LT
Station: W4LT

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: WCF
Operating Time (hrs): 10.45

  160:    0     0        0
   80:    6     4        5
   40:  121   290       50
   20:   81    15       34
   15:  136    19       56
   10:   48    10       18
------------------------------

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Rig(s) Elecraft K3/KRX3 - Flex Radio 6400+Maestro - KAT500/KPA500 connected to
both exciters in sequence - both need 27-33w for 600w out of the KPA500
Ant(s) A3s at 40ft, 2 half waves in phase 40m at 38ft, EFHW at 40ft avg. for
80m, GAP MonoGAP40 for 40/diversity receive for the K3 (N/A feature on 6400)

THE BIG FLEX Vs K3 CONTEST SHOOTOUT!

Comparing my 11 year old Elecraft K3 to my one year old Flex6400/Maestro in
actual "heat of battle" conditions.  Great radio conditions!  Nice to
see Mr Sun back in business.

Each radio was used in sequence on and off, using the same exact amplifier,
antennas and tuner, no BCB High Pass filter in line as usual; I live 3 miles
from 50kW WFLA AM which plays havoc with front end overload on 80 and 40.
Minimal front panel diddling, as most of the tuning work is done on the N1MM
keyboard with Macros. One big disappointment is that Flex cant supply sidetone
for N1MM F-Key macros out of the box.  Kludged up a microHAM CW Keyer driven by
N1MM plugged into Maestro as a straight key to work around this issue so as to
have F-Keys and local paddle sidetone through Maestro's sidetone generator. K3
used my normal microHAM microKEYER 2 for CAT and CW.

Here are my very unscientific impressions:

80m - K3 receiver is unflappable! Clean, solid no crunchies. Diversity between
the wire and the vertical works amazingly well. 6400 suffered from front end
overload, even after setting accurate AGC-T per Flex SOP. Always a higher noise
floor due to WFLA's RF into the front end, I assume.  Both transmitters worked
perfectly - Winner: K3, easier copy of weak signals in a crowded, noisy band.

40m - Much the same story as 80.  The K3 receiver's composed performance was
terrific.  The 6400 was better, but still some crunching and strange distortion
artefacts.  Filtering and DSP much easier to adjust on 6400 than K3.  K3
receiver much "busier" sounding than 6400.  K3 just gives more
confidence in digging out weak signals in heavy QRM.  Winner: K3, but not by
much. Guess Im used to the K3!

20m - Both radios handled this band well.  Both filtering schemes worked really
well and were very tight, down to 100hz selectivity.  Flex's variable filtering
is an improvement over K3's "stepped" DSP filtering, but K3's 250
roofing filter simply makes close in QRM magically go away. 6400 had some
problems with strong signals near weak ones, at times desensing. 6400 receiver
is quieter and more "composed" here, as opposed to K3 "nervous
sounding" receiver.  Flex DSP a generation ahead of K3's, and the
variability is an advantage.  Winner:  A Draw!

15m - Flex DSP is much easier to deal with than the K3's, simpler to use.
Still, digging in the Maestro and sliding a knob with one's finger is not the
cleanest way to deal with this. K3 seemed to handle fading with more level
difference than 6400.  Panel ergonomics still a detriment to the Flex, but maybe
that's because Im used to the K3. Really dislike how 6400 deals with RIT/XIT -
gave up on panel and dealt with it in N1MM keyboard.  Both rigs dig out similar
weak signals, but K3 seems better behaved in close in QRM. Still, 6400'ds
receiver amazingly quiet, but sensitive.  Winner: - 6400 by a hair. Just a
quieter, "cleaner" receiver.

10m - My non "new preamp" equipped K3 is showing its age on 10m.
Difficult copy of a lot of signals, with similar signals under similar
conditions easily copied on 6400.  6400 just hears better, sounds cleaner and
the DSP and NR's ease of use really shine on this band.  6400'ds APF is superior
to the K3 APF and easier to adjust and use.  Winner: 6400.  Hears things that
the K3 doesn't.

wash.  If you are more a low band guy and live near a 50kW Broadcaster, I feel
the K3 is a better choice.  If you are a high band guy, with small, low
antennas, and need every ounce of receiver sensitivity and good, easy to use
DSP, the 6400 is for you.

Note that I do understand that the 6400 has 3rd order filters, which may make it
an unfair disadvantage... A better comparison would be a 6600 with a K3s... This
isn't really apples to apples, but I always wanted to do this, so now I did and
I learned a lot about both my weapons of choice!

-73-

Lu Romero - W4LT