[3830] CQWW CW KR2Q SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW KR2Q SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 16:43:45 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: KR2Q
Operator(s): KR2Q
Station: KR2Q

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: NNJ FN20ru
Operating Time (hrs): 41

  160:   12     4        6
   80:   62    14       30
   40:  216    22       64
   20:  292    24       68
   15:  257    20       67
   10:   47    11       13
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

It was the best of time; it was the worst of time.  Fits well with this CQWW
CW.

The bands were “hot” midweek.  EG: Openings to EUR on 10m.  Exciting!

Reality: No EU opening to EU on 10m that I caught.  Based on the “hot shot”
HP scores, they only worked a few EU on 10.  EG, see K5ZD’s comments.

The beginning of the contest was very slow for me.  My first QSO was K4RO at
0008z.  My next QSO was at 0017z.  Really?

The first two hours were very bad: 19 Qs in the first hour; 17 Q’s in the 2nd
hour. But hour 3 got better (hello EU on 40, workable with QRP): a 34 hour.

After the contest, I like to see how I did compared to last year:
QSOs: 18.6% UP
Zones: 10.4% UP
Countries: 4.7% DOWN: 248 this year vs 260 last year (bummer)
Total Mults: 0.8% DOWN
Score: 19.67% UP

So how could I have more Q’s but less countries?  Oh yeah.  Covid.  Minus LOTS
of DxPeditions (and many easy mults on many bands).

Almost all of my Q’s were, typical of QRP, S+P.  My best “clock hour”
(based on the hour, not any best 60 minutes) was a 64 hour, all S+P.  The hour
before that was a 58 and the hour after that was a 59 hour, again, all S+P.
From here, you know the band is HOT when you can tune across the band working
everybody on ONE call.  Nice.

Did I run?  Just tiny bit: I had one 8 minute “run” which netted 6 QSOs.
And a 2nd “run” which lasted 29 minutes and netted 24 QSOs.  Other than
that, all S+P.  And very different from 2018 when I had a 100 hour on cw.

Unlike list year, this year I worked 12 JA’s (all 20m) vs just one JA last
year.  Most of the JA’ were worked after calling for one up to several times.
Then I found Alaska for a new mult.  From here, they are basically in the same
compass direction.  It took me SEVEN minutes to work him for a double mult.  The
band was “slow” at the time, so I didn’t mind investing the time.  And
once he got part of my call, it took over a dozen repeats to finally get my full
call in his log (whew!).

I had many guys get my call, only for them ask “number?” many times.  How
can they get my call but not the exchange?  I mean, it’s always 5995 from me.
Gosh.

The other thing that struck me was how much easier it is to stay awake and
motivated when things seem to be moving along.  I have not done a 40+ hour entry
in lots of years.  It felt GREAT to see that I can still do so many hours, as I
close in on age 70.  I know…lots of even older guys routinely do 45+ hours.  I
only did that ONCE in my life.  I need the psychological comfort of sleep, even
it isn’t much.

K3/10
Tower 1: OB16-3 at 55 feet
Tower 2: DB36 at 73 feet
80 inverted V at 65 feet, hanging off tower 2
160  inverted L, 90 feet straight up, then over.  But only a single
counterpoise.

N1MM+
Hal "FYO" paddle (rare)

de Doug KR2Q