[3830] CQWW CW K1LT SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@contesting.com, mrrc@groups.io
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K1LT SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 16:49:01 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: Ohio EM89ps
Operating Time (hrs): 31.5

  160:   89    19       47
   80:  170    17       61
   40:  232    33       96
   20:  354    34      108
   15:  218    26       90
   10:   57    18       42
------------------------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I had intended to operate 160 single band but sunspots!  So I started
on 20 hoping to chase lots of exotic DX but 20 sounded rather mundane.
40 was hopping, though.  160 seemed to have propagation but not so
much activity.  So after a few hours, the first goal emerged: work 100
countries on 40.  Thus the first night I ignored 80 and alternated
between 40 and 160.

Around 0700z I made myself uncomfortable on the couch expecting to
wake up again after a few hours but I awoke just before sunrise.  So I
missed the early morning stuff on 160 but chased some VKs on 40.  Then
I went to 10 hoping for Europe but found only SA and Caribbean and
7Q6M.  At least there was DX on 10.  I casually worked DX spots on the
high bands and did other chores.  If there was Europe on 10 on
Saturday, I missed them.

The second night I concentrated on 40 meter multipliers and went to 80
and 160 when the yellow 40 meter calls were lacking.  I went to sleep
around 0730z but set the alarm this time.  An hour before sunrise I
chased more VKs on 40 and worked a couple of BYs.  Now I had 90
multipliers on 40 and working 10 more in the last few hours seemed
unlikely.

Sunday I ran up and down the high bands chasing multipliers.  My goal
evolved into maximizing multipliers.  After a while, I decided that at
least a million points would seem respectable, so I did some running.
After another while, I decided a respectable score needs more than
1000 QSOs.  So I did some more running.

The final evening I found more multipliers on 40 than I expected like
VK6 long path although I never could get 8Q7ZO to hear me.  Enboldened
by a successful long path QSO and an easy 5Z QSO on 40 I called 9V1YC
on 40 aggressively and he obligingly hung in until we made a QSO.  So
I nominate 9V1YC on 40 as the surprise multiplier even though I called
him because I got no surprise multipliers while CQing.

Amusingly, I worked 9V1YC on 20 just 15 minutes later.  I had a short
JA run on 20 and worked a couple Asian Russian stations and one
Korean.  I called 4D3X a few times and was about to tune away when he
called me after working a couple of other stations.  Almost missed
that one!  No luck with the YB stations which were hard to hear.

The last half-hour was the typical hunt for the last bonus like a
multiplier or a quick but intense run.  The best I could manage was
another mult on 80 and some S&P on 40.

So goals: 100 mults on 40: short by 4.  Million points: 70% over.
1000 QSOs: 10% over.  No SO2R attempt although I used the second radio
to check for activity.

DX worked: 3D2, 3V, 4L, 4O, 4U1V, 4X, 5B, 5T, 5Z, 7Q, 8Q, 9A, 9G, 9H,
9M6, 9V, 9Y, A4, A6, A7, BY, C6, CE, CM, CN, CT, CT3, CU, CX, D4, DL,
DU, E7, EA, EA6, EA8, EA9, EI, ES, EU, F, FG, FK, FM, FS, FY, G, GD,
GI, GM, GU, GW, HA, HB, HB0, HC, HI, HK, HL, HP, I, IS, IT9, J3, JA,
KH6, KL, KP2, KP4, LA, LU, LX, LY, LZ, OA, OE, OH, OH0, OK, OM, ON,
OX, OY, OZ, P4, PA, PJ4, PY, S5, SM, SP, SV, SV5, SV9, TA, TA1, TF,
TG, TI, TK, UA, UA2, UA9, UN, UR, V3, V7, VK, VP5, VP9, VU, XE, YL,
YO, YU, YV, Z3, Z6, ZD7, ZF, ZL, ZP, and ZS for a total of 123
entities.

Equipment: K3S/100, P3, Alpha 8410; high band antennas: X7 at 101.5
feet and X7 at 61 feet; low band antennas: full sized 40 vertical over
32 radials, full sized 80 vertical over 60 radials, 60-foot 160 'tee'
over 75 radials.  Beverages for low band receiving.  Arrays of short
verticals for 160 receiving including homebrew receivers and software
for beam steering.  Writelog 12.