[3830] CQWW CW AC6ZM(@WV4P) SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW AC6ZM(@WV4P) SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 17:56:03 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: AC6ZM
Operator(s): AC6ZM
Station: WV4P

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: West TN
Operating Time (hrs): 30
Radios: SO2R

  160:    0     0        0
   80:  116    14       44
   40:  573    30       84
   20:  527    31       80
   15:  205    21       54
   10:   41   112       13
------------------------------

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

Operated from WV4P in Savannah, TN. A big thanks to Ron/Trina for hosting me. My
first time going Single Operator with an almost "full time" effort in
a CQWW CW. My personal goals going in was to break 1K Q's and 1M points which I
achieved with a comfortable margin. The long commute (9 hr. round-trip) from one
end of the state to the other shortened my operating time a few hours but it was
worth the drive. The planned M/2 at Soddy Daisy, TN (K4TCG) was canceled at the
last minute due to COVID, but Mark (K0EJ) certainly worked the station hard in a
solo effort, FB job OM! I had to find a new QTH to operate from and fortunately
Ron/Trina came through. As a fairly newcomer to contesting I certainly have
learned a lot this past 1.5 years being a part of TCG & DDCC. Working
conditions were Flex 6600 in SO2R mode with amplifiers (Alpha-99 and ALS-1306),
40/80 meter phased verticals with K9AY receive antennas, JK Tri-banders, and no
160 meter capability. Many problems occurred this weekend that cost me Q's and
mults but they were able to be resolved in real-time just in time to recover and
keep going. In other words, none of the errors were catastrophic. Some issues
where due to not being familiar with Flex menus to select proper antenna and
amplifier configurations so I missed out on many Q's for the Saturday morning
opening, but I was ready for the nice opening on Sunday morning. SO2R on 40-80
was a challenge due to ineffective bandpass filtering but was still able to
still pull off a decent number of Q's on the low bands. I still have much to
learn that can only happen with experience, BIC, and collaboration with
experienced contesters. It was nice to recognize and work so many TCG & DDCC
members and get the momentary tip of the hat [name + dit-dit] before moving on
to the next Q. Many CWops members also did the same, a true sign that I must be
getting around from all the contest activity I participated in 2019-2020.
Although my callsign vocabulary has increased domestically, I still have some
building up to do for DX callsigns. As I reflect on my progress this year, I
will share the following comparison; My solo attempts at CQWW-CW; 2018 SO(A)AB
score = 2,322 versus 2020 SO(A)AB score = 1,447,780. A big thank you for all the
TCG gray-beard council members (you know who you are) for answering my never
ending list of questions about contesting I had this past year. You have
certainly helped become a better contest operator. 73!