[3830] ARRL 160 K1DG(@N1LI) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dougk1dg@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K1DG(@N1LI) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2020 20:10:49 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2020

Call: K1DG
Operator(s): K1DG
Station: N1LI

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Long Island, Maine
Operating Time (hrs): 9

Total:  QSOs = 1059  Sections = 76  Countries = 39  Total Score = 310,843

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Twas the year of the virus as all of us know
The Maine governor told would-be visitors NO.

When the travel ban ended, without hesitation
I went to the island to check out my station.

I got there and what I first saw was a bummer
My 160 antenna had not made it to summer.

One element’s radials were broken I found
That’s easy to fix without leaving the ground.

The other was broken and needed repair
And meant I would have to go up in the air.

I threaded a sturdy new rope through the pulley
And tossed down the wire to stretch it out fully.

The other end over the tree had to go
It’s easy when there isn’t 2 feet of snow.

Slingshot and sinker on fishing line tied,
I pulled it way back and then gave it a ride.

Over the branch it went then it came down,
Now I was in business and going to town.

Next the twine, then the rope, then connected the wire,
Tied it together and hoisted it higher.

The RigExpert said I was low in the tuning,
Cut off a foot and was done with the pruning.

The Beverages next – one was broke at the end
That one took only a minute to mend.

The other one had fallen right to the ground
The dead tree that had held it had finally been downed.

I managed to free it and put it back right
It tested out great when I tried it that night.

The station was ready in contest condition
I’d be back in December as is my tradition.

I got there on Thursday the week of the contest
The station checked out and I got a good night’s rest.

But it seemed Murphy had other plans for my op
A coming storm meant a mid-contest stop.

The forecast suggested that it would be best
If I went home on Saturday halfway through the ‘test.

So Murphy had found me – that guy’s everywhere
But since I was in Maine I would get on the air.

At 2130 I staked out a freq
Worked a few Europeans at my sunset peak

At 2200 the contest began
On 1816 point 6 I ran and I ran

The pileup grew and got thicker and thicker
I turned up my keyer to work the boys quicker

At 23z I’d worked over 200.
“Is this really 160?” I openly wondered.

I waited for sunrise oer Europe to sweep
Expecting the rate meter would take a leap.

In the zero-six hour with two VFOs
I went more than five minutes with no QSOs.

And at 07 Zulu the rate was still crap,
I knew it was time to shut down and go nap.

I woke up, had breakfast, then did everything
To close down the house until sometime next Spring.

Took the noon boat to Portland and was glad that I did
On the drive to NH several times I did skid.

So I worked for 9 hours – I wish it was more
Ten-fifty-nine Qs and a 300k score.

So Peter, and Jerry, and Jon all got passes
But I’ll be back in January to kick all their asses!

73,

Doug K1DG

Station: IC7800, AL1200
TX: 2-element vertical array
RX: Two-wire reversible Beverages, NE/SW and NW/SE

Hr       160
22       206
23       155
00       139