[3830] CQWW CW W4KZ(KG5HVO) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kg5hvo@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW W4KZ(KG5HVO) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2020 21:52:27 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: W4KZ
Operator(s): KG5HVO
Station: KG5HVO

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: AL
Operating Time (hrs): 39.8

  160:   22     7       10
   80:  110    15       45
   40:  310    26       69
   20:  407    24       77
   15:  334    23       70
   10:   79    17       32
------------------------------

Club: Georgia Contest Group

Comments:

Didn’t know how competitive of an effort I was going to be able to make in
this one. I wasn’t able to get all the antennas completely ready before the
start. Both of the hurricanes that came through AL this fall wrecked my
antennas. I fixed most of them the week prior to game time. However, the first
night I had no receive antenna for 80/160m and the 160m inverted L was
inoperable. I decided to operate with what I had on Friday night and determine
if I could be competitive the rest of weekend. In the first hour as I was
getting in the groove, I saw a flash of lightning out my window and felt the
vibration of the thunder. Radar showed a line of intense thunderstorms about to
come through my area. Great. I was QRT until 0217Z when I felt it was safe to
operate again.

Condx were pretty good on the high bands! Probably the best I’ve ever
experienced. Some really loud signals from EU on 10m! It awesome being able to
run productively on 20m and 15m. Also cool to work a bunch of JAs on 15m.

I took 2 hours off on Saturday afternoon to lay the BOG and get the 160m
inverted L working. I think it was worth the effort and a good excuse for some
fresh air.  Another improvement from last year was the addition of an 80m
vertical.

Thanks to Alex LZ4AX (WW4XX) for the scoreboard race. He had me glued to the
chair throughout the event. It’s amazing what he does with simple wire
antennas.

Thanks for all the QSOs! Congrats to the top finishers.

73,
Bryant KG5HVO