[3830] ARRL 160 W1DYJ SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, larryb@alum.mit.edu
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W1DYJ SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2020 00:45:51 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2020

Call: W1DYJ
Operator(s): W1DYJ
Station: W1DYJ

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: Maine
Operating Time (hrs): 5

Total:  QSOs = 140  Sections = 44  Countries = 8  Total Score = 15,808

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I enjoy 160 contests for their simplicity: one band and reasonable CW speeds.
With a simple dipole here in Maine, and limited CW skills, I mostly stick to
"C&P".  Even with some family stuff going on both evenings I was
looking forward to this.

Friday night started off well, even with storm-related QRN, and I thought I
might achieve a personal best.  I did notice that my dipole was resonating
about 10-15 KHz lower than normal, limiting me to 1800 > 1860 with the tuner

in my 590. Feeling good about the contest, I quit at 11 PM for the news.

I started again at 5 PM local on Saturday.  POW!!!  Lost power at 5:20, short
delay to get the generator going.  There was higher QRN from the storm, with
loud 5-second bursts. Then I noticed around 7:30 that no new spots were showing
up:  lost the Internet.  So much for "C&P' -- is there an 160 contest
overlay for "Emergency Power/Classic"???   Going back to pure S&P
slowed me down greatly, but it was good for my slowly improving CW copying
skill.

This is my seventh ARRL 160 outing, ended up with my third highest score which
is OK with me considering. Also hoped to get AK/HI/NV for 160 WAS from
Harpswell but didn't hear any of them.

Rig: TS590S
Antenna: 80/160 trapped dipole at 30'
         (part of a 160-trap-80 / 30 / 20 / 10 fan dipole)
Log: N3FJP's ARRL 160 Meter Contest Log Ver 4.8

73 -- W1DYJ -- Larry