[3830] ARRL 160 W3DQ Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ericrosenberg.dc@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W3DQ Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2020 03:11:59 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2020

Call: W3DQ
Operator(s): W3DQ
Station: W3DQ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Washington, DC (MDC)
Operating Time (hrs): 12

Total:  QSOs = 502  Sections = 63  Countries = 3  Total Score = 67,254

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

What a surprise this was! This is my third time in this contest and my best
score yet.

With my inverted-L's support gone (the 75 ft dead Pine came down two weeks ago),
I hadn't expected to have an antenna to use. Fortunately, Tim (N3QE) came to the
rescue mid-week and together (mostly his work)the remnants of the "-L"
became a "Scoliosis -L"! Somehow it managed to work, although it's
more of a cloud burner than anything else. Reports from the RBN were, well...
certainly nothing like its predecessor.

I started late on Friday, which was as mistake, as my first two hours (all
S&P) were excellent. The band was very quiet, but not having a receive
antenna was definitely limiting. I didn't work much beyond the mid-west.

I started earlier on Saturday, finding the band very noisy and not quite as
active. I tried running (thanks to N3QE, NS3T and W2CDO for pushing me)and had a
couple of good runs, although none as productive as my S&Ping the night
before. I don't think I embarrassed myself too much.

I heard folks calling Europeans, but I only heard C3, ZS, C6, an NP2. The west
coast was almost as elusive.

My goal was to better last year's 299 Q's and 65 sections in 6.5 hours. I bested
that, although the lack of mults was the difference. More BIC than I've done in
quite a while.

IT was a lot of fun... a needed tonic in these pandemic times.

73,
Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC (MDC)
K3, ACOM 1000, sort-of-inverted -L