[3830] ARRL 10 NJ8J SO CW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nj8j@benshome.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 NJ8J SO CW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 01:44:13 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest - 2020

Call: NJ8J
Operator(s): NJ8J
Station: NJ8J

Class: SO CW LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 7:12

   CW:  216    35
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  216    35  Total Score = 30,240

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Icom IC-7300
LDG AT-11MP Automatic Antenna tuner
10 Meter Half-Square
Logger: N1MM+

Well, Friday night started off with a bang!  The band was packed (you'd have
thought it was 20M, not 10M) until about 0430Z and was pretty much closed by
0500Z.  I even managed a couple of runs.  No DX, other than VE.  Managed to not
get started until about 2000Z Saturday, and it was obvious that the band wasn't
what it was Friday night.  I got 2 Qs and could hear nothing else.  Picked up
another 2, one each in the 0000Z and 0200Z hours.

Got in a couple of hours Sunday morning and the band was better, but not up to
what it was Friday night.  Picked up a handful more in the afternoon until the
band folded up bout 1900Z.

This is the first time I've used the 10M Half-Square (well, since the top wire
is at a slant, it's really a Half-Parallelogram) very seriously since I got it
put up a couple of years ago.  Seemed to work well.  I certainly didn't feel
like a rabbit like I usually do with the poor bedraggled OCF doublet.  I do
wonder about what kind of directivity it has.  It basically lies on an east-west
line (well, slightly WNW-ESE), and I believe what lobes a half-square has are
broadside.  I certainly had no problems working 1-land ; My MA Qs outnumber any
other section, with plenty of CT, MD, MN, NJ, NY, PA, and VA.  With the
exception of MN (I kept wondering - why am I hearing so many MNs?), that's
pretty much straight north.  What outside of NA DX I worked was Cayman Is. and
Argentina.  I think that covers 'straight south'.  I may have to think about
putting up another Half-Square, perpendicular to the current one.

I enjoyed using the new IC-7300 for this one.  The scope does make a difference.
 Friday afternoon I received an IC-PAC cable to connect the AT-11MP to the 7300.
 Turns out the old AT-11MP *will* work with the 7300.  I had been planning to
get an AT-200ProII, but this may hold me for awhile.  Given that the DX-77T's
computer connection had been non-working for awhile, it's nice to have the
interface with N1MM+ back.