[3830] ARRL 10 K5OF SO SSB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, cpitts@ec.rr.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 K5OF SO SSB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 13:55:15 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest - 2020

Call: K5OF
Operator(s): K5OF
Station: K5OF

Class: SO SSB LP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 20:36

   CW:
  SSB:  583    55
-------------------
Total:  583    55  Total Score = 64,130

Club:

Comments:

Well that was interesting! I have not done this contest in over 20 plus years
and decided to jump in for a little fun. Last time I participated was when Mark
K4SO invited me over to his place when he lived in Nokesville VA to operate
along side him and Phil KT3Y. At that time 10M was rolling and we had a blast!

Began preparing for this back in October and decided on this category based on
the operating parameters I had available. A boy with a radio who enjoys running
on SSB,  low power for a challenge, and two OCF’s up approximately 60-70 feet
running N/S and E/W.

Based on my research and planning I felt I could be some what competitive in
this category.

At the starting gun 0000 hours 1st hour only 5 q’s! Two thoughts came to
mind…this is really going to be bad or folks are missing the start time? Then
things changed and the running started with 103 q’s the second hour and my
best run of 121 q’s the third hour. Kept running up until 0500 and called it a
night. Pleased with the result and going QRT with 313 q’s in the log. One low
point is in the 0300-0400 hour had a good rate going but for some unknown reason
either operator error or a weird fluke the radio was hanging up in transmit mode
and until I got that situation straight it was a bit of a struggle. I figure I
may have lost  30-50 q’s trouble shooting that issue.

Saturday 1400 hours jumped back on and it was the doldrums all day Saturday up
until I threw the switch at 2200 hours. A few more q’s in the log and a search
for mults was helpful but it sure was not something I liked. Took a brief nap,
checked on and played with the dogs, and grabbed some snacks due to very little
or no activity. Sunday was waiting.

Sunday jumped back on at 1500 hours (possibly should have been there at 1400, Oh
well) and the running started giving me three good hours with some added mults
the high light being V51WH calling in with a very loud signal to my CQ! Nice!
The run rate dropping I persevered scanning the band for q’s and mults which
paid off and got a nice call from VY2RG at 2046 along with a great many SA
PY’s and LU’s calling toward the finish to my CQ’s.

Besides V51WH being loud the loudest DX heard was EW5B and CX7SS! Great ops and
Great signals! When scanning the bands for q’s and mult’s if they were
fairly loud, I would call for a 2-3 times and then move on. No wasting time with
incessant calling, I knew my limit running low power.

Had Fun! Stay safe and 73! Ed K5OF in FM14rt.