[3830] OK RTTY KG4IGC SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] OK RTTY KG4IGC SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2020 20:15:01 +0000
                    OK DX RTTY Contest - 2020

Call: KG4IGC
Operator(s): KG4IGC
Station: KG4IGC

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: South Carolina
Operating Time (hrs): 13:14

   80:   33  108       5         1
   40:   87  357      21         8
   20:   89  131      20         6
   15:    3    6       3         0
   10:    0    0       0         0
-------------------------------------
Total:  212  602      49        15  Total Score = 38,528

Club: Swamp Fox Contest Group

Comments:

20 meters was closed at the beginning of the contest, so I decided to try and
run stations on 40. Not having much luck and Q count way down, made the decision
to S&P. Friday night 40 meters had a nice opening to to EU that lasted until
around 10:30 PM and then the band started to get really noisy.I want to say that
I worked about 9 Czech stations, the rest of the time the band seemed focused on
a diagonal stretch across Europe from the United Kingdom down to Italy. There
was a small opening toward the Middle East, and was able to work 4Z5UN in Israel
after several tries. Only a handful of US stations worked.

 80 was quite noisy as well, I was able to work a few US stations but not many.
I only heard three EU stations and I decoded a few other EU stations but was
unable to work them. Shut down around 11PM got a good night's sleep and was back
at it by 5 AM.

Saturday morning proved to be a challenge on 40, lots of QSB and QRN but the
band was open to EU again. Tried to run off and on, but had better luck
S&Ping. Managed to work one Australian station, VK4QH.  I did get get to
work OG66X in Finland and also OZ11A in Denmark around 8 AM. Went to 20 meters
right after the sun came up and was happy to see the band in full swing.

Spent most of the day Saturday on 20 meters, there was a really nice opening to
EU early in the morning. It seemed like band conditions were similar to Friday
night on 40 meters, the difference being that I was able to work some Russian
stations. Surprisingly, nothing heard out of the Caribbean except Cuba, and
nothing from Central or South America either. The West coat was also
surprisingly dead the entire contest with only four stations worked in
California. I started hearing and working stations from Hungary, Bulgaria, &
Romania around mid-morning again mainly working S&P. Nothing out of Africa
with the exception of working EA8AH in the Canary Islands.

EU died out around noon, 20 & 40 were quite dead for about two and a half
hours. Spend the rest of the afternoon running mainly stateside and Canadian
stations between 20 & 40 meters. Worked stations up and down the East coast,
mainly New England and around the Great Lakes. Also worked a lot of guys out of
Texas, and WD5DBV in Louisiana. Had a few EU stations come and go later in the
day, but they were hard to work. Had a small opening around 2 PM on 15, and
worked a couple of EU stations. EU did come back toward the end of the contest
on 40 & 80 meters, but only was able to work a handful. Most of the stations
that I worked in the evening were from the US.

Choice of antennas was interesting in this contest. Usually I will use my
Horizontal & two Super loops, but I found them to seem to pull in more noise
and definitely made everyone harder to work. I found that I used my ground
mounted Gap Challenger quite a bit for 20, 40, and 80. I found that I had better
luck with this antenna which is usually not the case. For 20 meters the hex beam
(which is only @ 20 feet) and the Gap definitely outperformed the loops which I
found to be quite surprising.10 meters was completely dead the entire contest.
Only saw one Swamp Fox, WB4HRL in passing, never got the chance to work Ed.

Rig: Yaesu FT-DX3000
PWR: 5-100 watts
HF ANTS: 2X 20/40 Super Loops, 232\' Horizontal Loop, NA4RR Hex Beam, Ground
mounted Gap Challenger, Maco V 5/8 vertical

Interested in contesting and live in South Carolina? Come visit our website and
join South Carolina\\\'s premier contesting club!
https://www.swampfoxcontestgroup.com/