[3830] TBDC ND7K(W4IX) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N6WIN73@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC ND7K(W4IX) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2020 16:19:53 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Dec 26

Call: ND7K
Operator(s): W4IX
Station: N6WIN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs): 13:31

Total:  QSOs = 611  Total Score = 3,090

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks to Tim for giving me the opportunity to work the 2020 Big Stew. We've
been talking about replacing the 400' JA Beverage that was more like 350 deg
with a Beverage at 310 deg. Tim got everything together before I arrived. I
showed up just after sunrise and we decided to hop on the Polaris and take a 7
mile ride to a nice breakfast joint.

After breakfast we got going on the work and basically had everything done
except for tying it in to the shack. I went to the shack and got things ready
for my planned start at 2300Z. At my start I was hearing a few East Coast
stations but activity was sparse. An hour later things picked up nicely and I
settled on a nice frequency. No great rates but steady.

These Icom IC-7600's are great radios. I was able to use the Sub VFO and tune
for stations during low rate periods. It was really nice seeing faint signals on
the pan close to me and I would then switch between antennas which often allowed
me to make the Q. I heard the East Coast working Europe but I couldn't hear
anything out here. Then around 0215Z, CR6K calls in with a good signal on the
European Bev. We plan on possibly putting up a reversible East / West Bev. in
the future to help out in these directions. A few minutes later a loud S53O
called in, wow he was loud. I quickly tuned for more Euros but nothing else was
heard.

I began switching to the new JA beverage to take a quick listen and it was 4-5 S
units lower than the European and old JA Beverages and I thought man is this
thing working? I overlooked the fact that the other 2 Beverages were on a
preamp. After tuning around a bit on the Xmit antenna I found a station in the
Pac NW that was barely audible. I switched to the new JA Beverage and wow,
crystal clear copy with no noise. I continued to work a steady stream of East
coast and West coast stations for the next couple hours switching back and forth
between the Euro and JA Beverages...(These were the only 2 antennas I used all
weekend for listening, I just never found the old north beverage to beat the new
ones). Had KL7KY call in pretty early for my first AK. Not long after KH7M
called in too. At 0743z JH2FXP calls in for the first JA followed by a very loud
JA8ISU (he was actually S9 on the IC7600 with no preamp!!). So at this point I
now know that we have a perfectly working JA Beverage.

I thought this was going to b a nice run of JA's but it wasn't to be. I did end
up working 14 JA's. I also had ZL3IX call in and I could only hear him on the
new JA Beverage. Can you see my excitement for the new JA Beverage!?! Overall I
think condx. were pretty good to the US including KL/KH7. I was very happy with
the abundance of New England stations that were worked. The European path just
wasn't there for us. Like usual, after 0800Z things slowed way down and took my
off times so I could run till the end. There wasn't really a lot of guys to
work, but I did get another JA a few minutes before the end. Thanks for all the
Q's.

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas and Happy New Year to all!!

73, John W4IX

Best DX ZL3IX at 11,455 km.

Operating conditions:

IC7610 and Ameritron AL1200
160m 1/4 λ Vertical
RX Ant EU & JA 580' beverages

Cabrillo Statistics           (Version 10g)           by K5KA & N6TV
http://bit.ly/cabstat

CONTEST: STEW-PERRY
CALLSIGN: ND7K
CATEGORY-OPERATOR: SINGLE-OP
CATEGORY-TRANSMITTER: ONE
OPERATORS: @N6WIN W4IX

-------------- Q S O   R a t e   S u m m a r y ---------------------
Hour     160     80     40     20     15     10    Rate Total    Pct
0000      59      0      0      0      0      0     59     59    9.7
0100      77      0      0      0      0      0     77    136   22.3
0200      83      0      0      0      0      0     83    219   35.8
0300      64      0      0      0      0      0     64    283   46.3
0400      60      0      0      0      0      0     60    343   56.1
0500      52      0      0      0      0      0     52    395   64.6
0600      42      0      0      0      0      0     42    437   71.5
0700      10      0      0      0      0      0     10    447   73.2
0800      14      0      0      0      0      0     14    461   75.5
0900      26      0      0      0      0      0     26    487   79.7
1000      21      0      0      0      0      0     21    508   83.1
1100      21      0      0      0      0      0     21    529   86.6
1200       9      0      0      0      0      0      9    538   88.1
1300      15      0      0      0      0      0     15    553   90.5
1400       9      0      0      0      0      0      9    562   92.0
Total    611      0      0      0      0      0    611

Gross QSOs=629        Dupes=18        Net QSOs=611

Unique callsigns worked = 611

The best 60 minute rate was 89/hour from 0040 to 0139
The best 30 minute rate was 100/hour from 0203 to 0232
The best 10 minute rate was 126/hour from 0205 to 0214

The best 1 minute rates were:
 4 QSOs/minute    3 times.
 3 QSOs/minute   22 times.
 2 QSOs/minute  120 times.