[3830] TBDC AA4LR Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC AA4LR Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2020 16:25:16 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Dec 26

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Georgia
Operating Time (hrs): 5

Total:  QSOs = 123  Total Score = 404

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Antennas:
Shunt-fed 13m tall tower (A3S/A743 is still lowered)
Half-size K9AY loops

Equipment:
K3/100 w/ KAT3 running 100 watts

Comments:

I was surprised at 4 pm local to hear a number of signals on the band in this
contest. Sunset is 5:35 pm local.

I had some trouble with the shunt-feed matching network at the beginning of the
contest. I could not get a match closer than 3:1. I fooled with the network,
even adding three 100 pF 6 kV caps to try to get a better tune, but I was
unsuccessful. 80/75m was fine, if a little bit off frequency -- this was partly
due to the fact that the tribander at the top of the tower is still awaiting to
be raised and the rotator inserted.

Oddly, though, after a couple of hours operating, I went out and tried it again,
and I was able to get a good match. This antenna worked just fine a few weeks
ago in the ARRL 160m. I may have an intermittent connection.

Conditions on 160m were good, but not great. No 28 point contacts with Ukraine
this year. I only heard one European, a DL, and he was buried in a pile. Worked
ZF and KP2, heard TI, but he couldn't hear my pipsqueak signal. VE6BBP was
strong, but he never heard me.

The few times I was CQing there were a number of stations who called me then
disappeared. Not sure what is up with that.

Not nearly as much activity as the ARRL 160m. Didn't have the energy to stay up
all night, so I pulled the plug about 0230z, and I overslept to get on before
dawn. It's been a week.

Great fun to work everyone. I'll be fixing tribander and the shunt matching
network this week.