[3830] TBDC W9TC Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jwkraus@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [3830] TBDC W9TC Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 00:32:20 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Dec 26

Call: W9TC
Operator(s): W9TC
Station: W9TC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IN
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 237  Total Score = 1,058

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

OK, I admit I'm a total idiot. Hope all of you are smarter than I. Put up a K9AY
loop on Saturday morning with the help of WD8DSB. It was cold ! It functioned
beautifully. I was thrilled with the added receive capability. So the contest
starts and I am struggling mightily to make Q's. Made 5 Q's in the first 5
hours. Nobody is hearing me. I call and the other stations CQ in my face. WTF ?
Never had that problem before. The SWR is high but the 7700 tuner is handling it
ok. I am hearing very well with the K9AY but can't hear very well on the mighty
guy wire I use as an xmit antenna. So, start tearing apart the feed line,
lightning arrestor, balun and feed wire to the guy wire. The feed wire to the
guy wire was a tad loose so crimped it tight but still high SWR and can't hear
for (fill in the blank, starts with an s and ends in t ). So spent at least 4
hours trying to figure out what is wrong. Finally said enough is enough and
reached for the power button on the 7700 to call it quits with 5 Q's in the log.
BTW, K9CT, who has phenomenal hearing struggled with copying me. So I'm ready to
shut it down when I look at the manual antenna selector which is set to the West
tribander and not the guy wire. What a moron! Guess a switch is a little too
much for this old man to handle. Let that be a lesson to all you whipper
snappers out there. There is NOT a cure for stupidity!