[3830] RTTY Roundup W3DQ SO RTTY HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup W3DQ SO RTTY HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2021 03:20:08 +0000
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup - 2021

Call: W3DQ
Operator(s): W3DQ
Station: W3DQ

Class: SO RTTY HP
QTH: Washington, DC
Operating Time (hrs): 14

   80:   185
   40:    84
   20:   274
   15:    30
   10:     0
-----------------------
Total:   573       0  State/Prov = 51  Countries = 32  Total Score = 47,559

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I haven't had this much fun in a contest in a long time.

I wasn't sure what to expect this time around. My wire antenna was patched
together, and the yagi's rotator seemed to have a mind of its own. I tried to
prepare in advance, but as always happens, I went down to wire get get
everything going.

I started out on 20, which was "meh" but took N3QE's admonition to
run, Had a couple of short runs and then went to 15, which was not so great.

Just as conditions and activity started growing, the radio failed. I was ready
to quit, but N3QE and W3CDO suggested that the radio was overheated. "Let
it cool down and try again." The K3's thermostat couldn't keep up with the
action, so I set it manually to go full tilt. Problem solved.

Went to 80 for the rest of the evening. Had fun with some short runs and then
quite at midnight or thereabouts.

I came back at 8 for two "okay" hours on 20, and then it was off for
the first of the weekend family Zoom calls. Returned in the early afternoon for
four great hours before finishing to join the second Zoom call.

Had my highest rates ever (85/hr) on 20 and then on 40, which had been a
disappointment the day before.

Overall, it was great. The hardware issues were cured; the software issues
(N1MM+ and 2Tone) were somewhat vexing but not show stoppers.

Again, I had a blast!

73,
Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC