[3830] ARRL Jan VHF AB8M SO 3Band LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF AB8M SO 3Band LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 03:54:34 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  159    43  Total Score = 7,310

Club: Black River Radio Ops

Comments:

Welcome to January VHF - tough conditions all the way around.  I can't complain
too much, I worked 2m and 70cm cross polarized from most people on the vertical
because it was what was functional.  6m was on the M2 loop.  Both antennas are
at about 35ft.

A lot of Sunday felt like a grind as condx on 6 were very sporadic, indeed.
Usually barely long enough to get a contact.  Most of the contacts were on FT8 -
I heard very little phone and no CW throughout the weekend.  A few of us in the
Cleveland area also "beat the bushes" on FM simplex to drive a few
extra points.

Not sure why the Ohio Section of the ARRL has their ARES section sponsor a
"Ohio Simplex Contest" the weekend before this contest.  This is a
larger event and with the FM-only category, there would be something for those
stations to compete in.  There was far more activity on the air for that last
weekend than there was for one of the "big 3" VHF contests put on by
the ARRL every year.  Seems like an opportunity to combine forces and drive more
activity - especially as VHF interest seems to be declining.

I hope more folks keep embracing the online scoreboards.  They add a sense of
tension and excitement to the costests, providing real-time feedback to how you
are doing compared to other stations in your categories.  This is now the 2nd or
3rd contest where KM8V and I have said, "eh, I'm going to hand out some
points if I'm around," before a contest, only to see our scores close and
both of us glued to our seats trying to one up the other.  (Maybe we shouldn't
believe each other about the whole "only going to hand out some
points" thing.)

Thanks for those who got in the log book or were patient with my little-pistol
operations - especially a couple of the MSK144 guys around 5am Sunday morning -
but it worked!

73 de AB8M
-doug