[3830] ARRL Jan VHF W5ZN Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w5zn@w5zn.org
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF W5ZN Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 16:37:49 +0000
                    ARRL January VHF Contest - 2021

Call: W5ZN
Operator(s): W5ZN
Station: W5ZN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Arkansas
Operating Time (hrs): 25

    6:  134    70
    2:  151    80
  222:   35    21
  432:   42    20
  903:   12     8
  1.2:   14     9
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  388   208  Total Score = 112,944

Club: Zilla Contest Group

Comments:

I had a nice run in this contest thanks to rovers. We had more rovers running
around than you could pack in to a city pound! It was really great.

I operated in the SOHP category. Saturday started off slow but no worse than
normal for January. Had a brief opening to the northeast early Saturday evening.
The bands went dead around 0400z and the rovers had bedded down for the night so
I decided to grab a little sleep. Around 1000z meteors and activity really burst
wide open for about 4 hours. Conditions for the remaining contest were normal
for January although frequencies above 432 MHz were difficult over some reliable
paths.

I lost around 25 or more FT8 QSO on 50.313 due to the path not holding in long
enough to complete. I still don’t understand why folks don’t migrate to FT4
on 50.318. I went there three times during the contest and spent about 20
minutes each time calling CQ and could not see or hear any signals whatsoever.
Hopefully the VHF contest community can come together on this before June.

The W5ZN station provided stellar performance during the contest. No equipment
issues. W5ZN station equipment for this contest was:
50 MHz:
Elecraft K3 (SSB/CW)
Icom IC-7300 (FT8)
Flex PGXL Amplifier
M2 6M9KHW Antenna
M2 7x7x7 stack 6M7JHV’s Antenna

144 MHz:
Elecraft K3 & DEMI Xvtr (EME)
Icom IC-9700 SSB/CW/FT8
Lunar Link Amplifier
M2 2Mxxx18 (Terrestrial) Antenna
4x17 Cushcraft 17B2 (EME) Antennas

222 MHz:
Elecraft K3 & DEMI Xvtr
Lunar Link Amplifier
2xFO16 Directive Systems Antennas

432 MHz:
Elecraft K3 & DEMI Xvtr
Lunar Link Amplifier
4xFO25 Directive Systems Antenna

902 MHz:
Elecraft K3 & Demi Xvtr
Directive Systems Loop Yagi

1296 MHz:
Elecraft K3
Directive Systems Loop Yagi

QSO breakdown as follows:
Band    Mode            QSOs      Pts   Grd Mult
50      FT8               86      86        43
50      MSK144            37      37        24
50      USB               11      11         3
144     CW                 1       1         0
144     FM                29      29         1
144     FT8               54      54        33
144     JT65              37      37        33
144     MSK144             8       8         6
144     USB               22      22         7
222     CW                 3       6         2
222     FM                 1       2         1
222     FT8               11      22        10
222     USB               20      40         8
432     CW                 2       4         2
432     FM                 9      18         0
432     FT8               10      20         9
432     USB               21      42         9
902     CW                 6      24         5
902     USB                6      24         3
1296    CW                 8      32         6
1296    FT8                1       4         1
1296    USB                5      20         2
Total                    388     543        208
Score: 112,944

Thanks to everyone for the Q’s and grids. A very special thanks to rovers
K5ND/R, AG4V/R, W5VY/R, K2EZ/R, NV4B/R, N0LD/R, K5SRT/R. I look forward to
seeing everyone in the ARRL June VHF Contest.

73 Joel W5ZN