[3830] ARRL Jan VHF N2JMH Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF N2JMH Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 19:21:34 +0000
                    ARRL January VHF Contest - 2021

Call: N2JMH
Operator(s): N2JMH K2TER
Station: N2JMH

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: fn12bw
Operating Time (hrs): 27

    6:  225    65
    2:  135    42
  222:   35    12
  432:   41     9
  903:   15     6
  1.2:   14     6
  2.3:    7     4
  3.4:    3     2
  5.7:
  10G:    4     3
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  479   149  Total Score = 110,260

Club: Rochester VHF Group

Comments:

Teamed up with my friend and rover competition from back in the day, Bill, K2TER
for some multi op fun. It was a good chance to shake out the bugs of my newly
constructed shack and break stuff. Everything was looking good pre contest but
everyone knows it will break during the contest. Discovered I had grounding
issues and rf keying things when they shouldn’t be. A wide 2 meter amp got
ditched right away so we used a big te amp at a couple hundred watts. The Henry
3006 has an issue a week before so we were on option b already. Took out the 2m
preamp, 2304 preamp and tower mounted 5G was deaf. Reports were I was
transmitting fine on 5G. Weather was too crappy for another trip up. Thing
worked great on the floor. Spent a considerable amount of time repairing as we
went but still turned in a decent score. Conditions were flat to awful on 222
and above and was disappointed with the outcome.

Highlights were my channel 13 tv amp on 222 cranked out 800 watts all contest
without an issue. My w6pql 70cm amp that I built worked great but we didn’t
drive it hard. Had the temp setting too low and it would kick out and not enough
drive so only ran it 250 or so. SB220 on 6 meters kept the shack warm at 600
watts and actually ran the AC to keep it comfy.

I’ll iron out the shack issues, after a 15 year break from ham radio I am a
bit rusty at the contesting but we will work on that too!

Added 2, 3, 5 and 10 Thursday before the contest so expectations weren’t high
for them. Dollar per q on the microwaves can’t be talked about right now.
Hopefully there are more stations in June and I iron out my mwave stuff.

73 Jim n2jmh