[3830] CQ160 CW N3BB Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW N3BB Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 16:24:03 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2021

Call: N3BB
Operator(s): N3BB
Station: N3BB

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: STX
Operating Time (hrs): 6:10

Total:  QSOs = 509  State/Prov = 55  Countries = 16  Total Score = 86,336

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Terrific conditions. Wall to wall activity, and very hard to find a CQ
frequency. Started out S&Ping to get the feel of the band and then would
circle back and look for a CQ freq. Very hard to find at peak times, but not too
hard at off-peak times. From here, it's hard to hear EU DX and so I had to be
very careful not to plop down on a freq with a very ESP-y EURO trying to work
the States. All in all, even when I could find a freq, it always got
"impinged on" from all sides as others moved around and the
propagation shifted.

I was not able to be active at the peak times for EU, and worked only a few loud
EU stations who were CQing and running the US. My EU QSOs were all in the
0130-0200Z times, and it was not possible for me to hit the EU sunrise hours due
to family commitments. I found that after an hour or two of CQing and then
S&Ping I got bored, so my limitations were mostly mine.

A local noise source had opened up and I am QRT on the usual antennas here. The
SAL-20 receive antenna located about 400 feet away was very good to the NE and
useful nearly everywhere but SW and S. So I felt pretty "normal"
overall for the most part on being able to hear others.

It's a thrill to see such great activity. Lots of very FB CW ops. Thanks much
for the contacts.

Jim N3BB
www.authorjkgeorge.com

*Station: K3 and Alpha 87A 1.0-1.4ish KW
*Transmit antenna: 90 foot vertical direct-fed Rohn 45G tower at 18 feet with
two radials from that height, ending about 10 feet high (above the deer
population. Tnx to W5JAW for the design.
*Receive antenna: SAL-20 located about 400 feet away from the transmit towers
and down a sharp wooded hillside and by a barn and a creek. Without that I would
have been completely deaf.