[3830] REF CW VE3NNT SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, lesbrown@sympatico.ca
Subject: [3830] REF CW VE3NNT SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 20:39:14 +0000
                    REF Contest, CW - 2021

Call: VE3NNT
Operator(s): VE3NNT
Station: VE3NNT

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: FN14cm
Operating Time (hrs): 16
Remote Operation

   80:   91    57
   40:  130    65
   20:  138    71
   15:  102    57
   10:
-------------------
Total:  461   250  Total Score = 342,750

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

I decided to operate this contest since I have a wet noodle for a 160m antenna
and winter Field Day doesn't really do it for me. It's a smaller field than the
HA DX CW or UK/EI DX CW contests since you can only work stations in France and
its departments. There were enough stations from France to keep it somewhat
interesting though. Many were not serious contesters. It was nice to see such a
good turnout of regular operators. I was able to run from time to time, but it
was mostly a lot of S&Ping. I had to keep the speed down to 25 - 28 WPM much
of the time. It was a relaxed atmosphere, where operators take the time to say
"bjy", "mci" and "73" during each exchange.

It was encouraging to see 15m openings to Europe Saturday and Sunday morning,
albeit quite brief, about 1 hour (unless I just missed the start of it each day)
around 8 am. I didn't see any activity on 10m.

Working France Saturday night on 40m, during their daytime, was a challenge,
just to break through the wall of European stations calling them.

All in all, it was entertaining enough to keep me in the chair for about 16
hours.

The internet connection to my remote station worked reasonably well. I had the
usual pops and clicks due to delay variation but didn't lose the radio
connection at all. I hope it works as well for the ARRL DX CW coming up in a 3
weeks.