[3830] CQ160 CW W1WBB Single Op Assisted LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW W1WBB Single Op Assisted LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2021 00:00:16 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2021

Call: W1WBB
Operator(s): W1WBB
Station: W1WBB

Class: Single Op Assisted LP
QTH: W1
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 707  State/Prov = 53  Countries = 10  Total Score = 103,320

Club: CT RI Contest Group

Comments:

Revamped the 5/16 wavelength 160m Inv L throughout the month of January ...
primarily I installed an elevated radial system (three 65 ft non-resonant
radials go from feedpoint at about 3 ft, then up on an angle [gull-wing style]
to 10-12 ft above soil where they run out via electric fence insulators for
duration of length).  The existing on-ground compromise radial system of 18
various length wires is totally disconnected from the new elevated radials but
helps act as a ground screen.  Kudos to many on the Topband email reflector who
shared knowledge/experience over the years on such a system; and the help
provided via the ON4UN Low-band DXing handbook, of course.

So far, the TX performance with the new elevated radial system is QUITE
impressive with very noticeable positive results!!  Many more first call
answers, far fewer repeats and the most QSOs for me ever in CQWW 160m CW.  Fri
night/Sat morn was fun -- stopped with 418/47/9 Sat just after sumrise (70 Q's
and 2 add'l St added in 90 mins b4 S/R!).  Propagation to many areas in CONUS
seemed quite good this weekend.  However, DX conditions to Eu were poor for me
once again this season as a perennial Low Power operator ... so the jury is
still out on the revamped Inv L's DXing capability (although two weeks ago on
night of Jan 15 six loud Eu stations were easily worked within an hour here btwn
6-7pm my local time).  The great nights on 160m for DX in 2009-2011 now seem a
distant memory.

More work needed on the Topband receive capability here ... apologies to those
who I couldn't pull out of my slowly worsening noise levels.  Manually switching
in horizontal wires worked for some low level sigs.

Worked 45 states plus DC (heard but missed out on ND, SD, WY; nothing from AK,
HI).  Also got VE1, VE9, VO1, VY2, VE2, VE3, VE6.
NOT much DX for me ... 4 Eu (DL, G, SP, UA2) and EA8; KP2 KP4 HI XE and ZF.
Just five 10-point QSOs, but 62 five-pointers (52 from VE-land).

It is much appreciated that the sponsors now have an Assisted *Low Power*
category - many thanks!!

Good to work so many FB Topband ops in the new year.  Thanks for all QSOs!
Stay safe/73, Bill  W1WBB

-- Icom IC-7300 @ 100w
-- 5/16 wvlength Inv L (up ~80 ft/over ~90 ft) for TX/RX with three 65 ft elev
radials over modest ground screen; series matching cap @ feedpoint
-- Horizontal wires as auxiliary RX via manual switch (doublet or Hexbeam)  --
N1MM+ Logger and WinKeyer CW interface; Vibroplex Deluxe paddle on fills