[3830] CQ160 CW W5MX Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bydal@roadrunner.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW W5MX Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2021 00:31:33 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2021

Call: W5MX
Operator(s): W5MX
Station: W5MX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: ky
Operating Time (hrs): 25

Total:  QSOs = 1469  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 49  Total Score = 573,480

Club: Kentucky Contest Group

Comments:

Great contest! I took a vacation day Friday to actually be rested and set up
before the contest this time. Definitely helped me stay awake into the wee hours
of the morning unlike the last couple of topband contests. Went till about
03:30am local time both nights. If things had still been hopping keeping the
adrenaline up, I would have stayed up longer. Went to bed more out of boredom
hihi. I am sure that cost me a few Q's and/or mults.
Everything performed well in the station, no problems to speak of. I did walk
the beverages before the contest to check for branches on the ones running
through the woods. The WX was fantastic so I did a little maintenance work on
the base of the inverted L. Cleaned up some of the radial connection points
etc.
Still getting used to the new FTDX101D, but seems to be quite a bit better on rx
than my FTDX3000 I have used the last number of years. The sub rx was a great
feature, definitely a step up!
Condx were pretty good overall here, but not outstanding. Condx to the West
overall seemed a bit down here. I actually used the inverted L for rx at times
on both nights as it was so quiet EXCEPPT a few hours Sat night due to storms to
the SW of here. Luckily those storms did not have high lightning rates so it was
periodic crashes rather than the nearly constant noise that the worst storms
make.
I ended up with 254 stations in the log from the EU area, with about 40% the
first night and 60% the second. There was a good EU sunrise peak the second
night with 60 q's during the 06:00 hour.
No JA, KL7 or VK/ZL for me at all this time. I ended up over-sleeping, missing
most of the peak time for them both mornings.  I need to get a good alarm clock
at the contest site, next trip down there I will have one!
Working condx here for the contest:
FTDX101D
Alpha 89
Inverted L with about 35m vertical - lots of radials
5 single beverages for rx from 160 to 320 meters long.

Best 73's all!
Bryan
W5MX