[3830] CQ160 CW K3MTR Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, cq.k3mtr@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW K3MTR Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2021 01:27:00 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2021

Call: K3MTR
Operator(s): K3MTR
Station: K3MTR

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: FM19
Operating Time (hrs): 1

Total:  QSOs = 10  State/Prov = 4  Countries = 0  Total Score = 104

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Well... what can I say? I don't have a 160 m antenna. Nor did I whip up a super
tuner to "bend" an existing one into 160. This started as a curiosity:
if I "break the rules" (so to speak) and xmit QRP into a 40 m antenna
on 160 m, could some of the big guns pick me out? I know, I know: I probably
shouldn't test super-high SWR. I don't mean to make a habit of it, but it was
always a curiosity if it would at all work. Now, I don't intend to have any
success on something like SSB on 160. And I didn't expect to chew the rag with
someone in CW, coming in with a signal surely so faint that the other OMs must
have questioned whether they were only "hearing things". But a big
contest... that's where people put extra effort into straining their ears! HI.
And what can I say, after I managed to hear that joyous di di di di dit dah dit
dah dit following my call sign, I couldn't stop at just one. Most of my itch for
this test was spent at WA3EKL multi, but having just a wee bit of fun at my own
QTH for this was a delight. I pretty much only worked local PVRCers, but I was
quite surprised that my puny QRP signal into a horribly non-resonant antenna on
a notoriously noisy band was heard as far as Ontario---twice! Make no mistake: I
know it was all of you who made the QSO possible. I appreciate your patience and
ear-strain for this "test in a test". 73 de K3MTR