[3830] CQ160 CW AA4V Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, aa4v@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW AA4V Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2021 13:44:51 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2021

Call: AA4V
Operator(s): AA4V N4SF
Station: AA4V

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: SC
Operating Time (hrs): 25

Total:  QSOs = 1008  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 48  Total Score = 343,228

Club: Carolina DX Association

Comments:

With the help of two local friends, Rick, W4GE and David, AA4VT, we overhauled
the station here on the Isle of Palms, near Charleston, SC. We installed a new
matching network for the 68 foot vertical mounted on the end of a 120 foot long
pier over salt water. A new set of resonant elevated radials was installed for
160 and 80 meters. Two DXE active receiving antennas were installed and
connected to the DXE NCC-2 box and were very helpful.
As always, it was a great pleasure to have Gay, N4SF, as my operating partner.
We have been operating the contests together since the early 70's from all over
the world. Things were going well the first night until about 1 am local time
when the matching network let go. After taking a close look, we decided that we
would have to wait until daylight to repair the damage. Unfortunately, we lost 7
hours of operating time including European sunrise. We switched out the matching
network for a Titanex tuner and it operated flawlessly for the rest of the test.
We also installed a pennant antenna pointed to Europe which became our go-to
receiving antenna. The equipment included an Elecraft K3, ACOM 2000a amp and
N1MM+ logging. We missed ND, KL7, LB, NT, NU and YT. Thanks to everyone for the
Qs and the most enjoyable run of DX stations calling in over Saturday night. CU
in the ARRL DX and the WPX phone multi-op from AA4VT's outstanding station. Stay
safe.