[3830] CQ160 CW K9GY(@W2/MORSE/RHR) Single Op Assisted LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k9gy@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW K9GY(@W2/MORSE/RHR) Single Op Assisted LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2021 15:32:41 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2021

Call: K9GY
Operator(s): K9GY/4
Station: W2/MORSE/RHR

Class: Single Op Assisted LP
QTH: NY (FN31)
Operating Time (hrs): 16
Remote Operation

Total:  QSOs = 536  State/Prov = 51  Countries = 4  Total Score = 67,815

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

[log removed from comments]

Planned to operate from RHR W1/Marconi (MA) on Cape Cod at about 100' ASL but
before the contest QRN was 59+. Ray (W2RE) switched me over to RHR W2/Morse (NY)
where QRN was S5. Station played well for 100 watts. I think the elevation
helped (1200' ASL). Both of these are new stations available on RHR. Ray and Lee
are doing great things with RHR!

First QSO (W1WEF), I forgot state exchange (N1MM) is sent within initial setup.
Unfortunately sent 5NN MA... oops. Worked him later and sent 5NN NY...Argh!

Conditions on night one seemed better than night two. Heard several EU on night
one but too many NA over them to make a QSO: OM7M, 9A4M, SP8R, etc. Highlight of
the weekend was working UA2FW 27 mins before his sunrise on night two. Also
worked HI(D.R.), KP2, and ZF.

Appeared there was some SSB in the CW section.... not sure why...really tears
things up! Especially on 160 dits can just fad away. For example, a U turns into
a T. Flex waterfall makes S&P much more efficient (and fun)!

Unfortunately, at 04z night one Flex went belly up and lost connection. A bit
late to expect support so went to bed. Checked it in the morning and all was
fine. Whew thought that might have ended my effort!

I understand now (by actually operating from East Coast), the added difficulty
in working West Coast USA from East Coast. Much different than operating from
Illinois where you're centrally located for USA QSOs. Missed four states
(CONUS): ND, NE, ID, WY.

A very enjoyable contest considering I only submitted two scores before for this
event. Great to have RHR to be able to operate 160m.

Flex 6400
OCF Dipole at 100'
Eastern NY - Dutchess Co

CQ CONTEST!