[3830] CQ160 CW K3KU Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW K3KU Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2021 01:52:18 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2021

Call: K3KU
Operator(s): K3KU
Station: K3KU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 9:30

Total:  QSOs = 559  State/Prov = 53  Countries = 6  Total Score = 74,871

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

In preparation, I read my posting from last year's running: "my plan was to
operate only as long as it was fun, and that's what I told my wife.  'Fun'
meant: as long as I could have some exciting runs; or there were neat mult's to
chase (the West Coast, or maybe, maybe some Europeans); or other interesting
QSOs to be had."

And that's just how I approached it this year.

Starting about 00Z Saturday night (Sunday, UTC), I figured "fun" would
end by about 07Z (2AM).  Besides, I had to start my regular morning routine at
12Z because we were supposed to go to granddaughter's half-birthday party,
scheduled at 9AM (14Z) to beat the snow.

Within a few minute of my start I could tell that condx were, for my
domestic-focused strategy, much better than the last few 160M 'Tests.  Lots of
loud Eastern signals, low noise.  I did a few S&P QSOs to find a CQ spot
near the bottom of the band. (It doesn't matter that the Europeans can't call me
there.  I don't expect to work many Europeans; certainly no volume.)

Whee!! 39 QSOs in 16 minutes (155/hr).  Being fresh meat is FUN!  Then some loud
guy started running just above me, close enough to affect my run.  All right,
that's what happens when you are a second (or third) tier signal.  I worked the
newcomer, found another freq 2Kc up, and resumed running. 179 QSOs in 69 minutes
(139/hr), another all-time best.

But, as always, "They say that all good things must end some day." and
it did.  Running was fun, but not spectacular, the rest of the night.  S&P
was rewarding, even with the regular can't-bust-the-pileup and CQ-in-my-face.
About 2:30AM (0730Z)my wife came down and reminded me about our early morning
obligation.  I quit about 08Z and went to bed for a few hours sleep.

I slept badly, and was awake again at 1030Z.  The snow had just started.  Well,
if life hands you insomnia, make QSOs!  I got back on and operated until about
12Z, catching a few nice western mult's.

I figured I was done, and submitted the log during the day.  But as the day went
on and the snow came down, I got to wondering if anybody would be on during the
last hour.  So, I got on... and made another 25 QSOs.

Much fun, for sure.  I worked all the Lower 48 except ND (no surprise) and WA
(What?!?!).  Thirty (!) QSOs with Ontario.  I hope they remember me on Canada
Day.  Three QC, and just a handful of other Canadians.  Heard but did not work
VE4, VE5, VE7.  I don't bother even to dream of KL7, YT, NT, YU, KH6 on 160M

I managed only two Europeans (OL1 and GM), but could hear others.  Only other DX
was NA: XE; 2 or 3 KP2s; three(!) ZF; KP4. On Sunday morning I heard one of the
ZFs working a JA (inaudible).

Three notable QSOs -- First, getting non-loud K7RAT on one call; he can really
hear.  The other two were answers to my CQ, barely audible.  But, knowing who is
active and getting parts of a call, I made guesses: "NO6T? 5NN MD",
and I get my first CA in many 160M contests; then, "WC7S? 5NN MD", and
WY is in the log.  (For that NO6T QSO, I suspect that my buddy VE4EA, one of
their stalwarts, had them looking for me.)

One notable non-QSO -- The huge, unruly pileup on VE4GV.  I was wise enough not
to try.  Unfortunately, none of my RSM friends answered my CQ, so I was
zero-for-Manitoba.  Again.

Oh, yes; lots of fun.  And it's almost as much fun to tell the stories as it is
to work the contest.

Oh, the granddaughter's half-birthday party?  The snow started several hours
earlier than expected; we wisely chickened out.

Thanks for the QSOs, and HPE CU next 160M 'Test.  "Tune for maximum
fun."