[3830] ARRLDX CW WO1N SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW WO1N SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 05:53:51 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2021

Call: WO1N
Operator(s): WO1N
Station: WO1N

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: Massachusetts
Operating Time (hrs): 36

  160:   69    30
   80:  233    54
   40:  242    65
   20:  550    74
   15:   69    32
   10:   14     9
-------------------
Total: 1177   264  Total Score = 929,808

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Station: FTdx5000, C3-SS@38',40MDi@50',80MVertC,160MInvL,N1MM+

 Another one in the books. For me, the 160M contest was the emotional high
this season. This was more like a task. No antenna work, just wait for the
clock to rollover and get started.

 The low bands were great Friday night. Probably got to 160 a bit late but it
was still rocking. We could have used these conditions during the 160 contest.

 Hit the sack around 1015Z for a 3 hour break. Swept the low bands, finally
finding a 20M run frequency and managed a 99Q run when it was just stolen
by a 4 lander. That hasn't happened in a long time.

 I needed to clean up the overnight snow fall so my wife could head out to her
mom's, so it wasn't that impactful. However, snow clean up, breakfast and then
the subsequent energy crash screwed up Saturday morning, pretty much my
usual operating pattern.

 I then spend the rest of the contest feeling like I've got to make up what I
missed, but, of course, the morning rates from New England can't be had at
any other time for a low power station in these types of band conditions.

 At the 24 hour mark, I had 589Qs in the log. Next sleep break was a clean
3 hours starting at 0800Z with 755Qs. A quick sweep of the low bands then
at 1140Z I started a 277Q run on 20M interspersed with some 2nd VFO mult Qs.

 That run was a lot of fun. At one point pretty much all of the signals from
Europe had that watery auroral sound, but it didn't seem to impact rates. A
122 hour early in that run was the best for the weekend.

 The rest of the 2nd day was then just mining the bands for contacts. Very
slow.
And as I composed this, I realized I made 588Qs in the 2nd day. 589/588 Day
1/2.

 The online scoreboard motivated me to keep the butt-in-chair. Thanks, Scott
(K1OA). I show Qs in 41/48 hours, but this was basically a 36 hour effort.

 The log shows 6-six band, 11-five band and 31-four band Qs. No Europe on
10 either day and only a handful on 15M, mid-day, day one and by pointing
the worlds smallest tribander to 120 degrees. Two new band countries.

 It just blows me away listening to some of the DX, in particular FK8IK,
working massive pile ups while hand sending. Just amazing. Thanks for the
contacts and....

CU in the next one,

Ken - WO1N