[3830] SCQP K4HQK Single Op FixedMixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jwfuller@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] SCQP K4HQK Single Op FixedMixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2021 14:15:38 +0000
                    South Carolina QSO Party - 2021

Call: K4HQK
Operator(s): K4HQK
Station: K4HQK

Class: Single Op FixedMixed HP
QTH: Alexandria, VA
Operating Time (hrs): 5:50

  160:
   80:   15      2      0
   40:   34     21      0
   20:
   15:
   10:
    6:
----------------------------
Total:   49     23      0  CW Mults = 2  Ph Mults = 2  Dig Mults = 2  Total
Score = 6,972

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Having grown up in Barnwell, SC, I try each year to participate in the SCQP for
a brief re-familiarization with my home state. Scott/KG9V in York county, for
example, updated me on Rock Hill, the county's largest city. It's home to
Winthrop College (now University), where I participated in the annual All State
Band (as timpanist) during high school days.

Now to the SCQP: This time my operation was S&P for six periods of about an
hour each. Only bands I used were 80m and 40m; my VA QTH is too close to SC for
higher frequencies. I also did not attempt 160m or 6m. For the first four
sessions (daylight hours) activity at any given time was scattered--a few on CW,
a few on SSB, easily worked.

When darkness fell, however, things heated up. Most activity had moved to 80m
CW, and now there were far more non-SC stations on the air calling the mobiles
and rare-county stations in red-hot pileups. It took a bit of an effort to make
myself heard.

Keeping track of the mobiles as they crossed from one county to the next was
tricky, given they could settle in some county and operate on a band I could not
hear. And there were six of them running all over the state! Predicting where
they'd pop up next on whichever band eluded me; I just took what landed on the
dial in front of me.

One mobile operation was a hoot: Steve/AA4TI, assigned to the four corner
intersection of Chesterfield, Dillon, Kershaw and Lee counties. I chatted with
him for a minute on SSB and learned others had calculated the exact spot for
him--in a field covered in cow manure! And there he sat for the whole contest. I
said I hope he rolled up his car windows.

Despite working only 28 of the 64 counties, it was a fun way to spend a rainy
Saturday. Hats off to the SCQP team for a well-organized contest!

73,

John K4HQK
Alexandria, Virginia

Station: IC-7410, Ameritron ALS-600 amp, and dipoles. Total score includes 1,500
points for five "bonus" station QSOs at 250 points apiece.