[3830] SCQP K8MR SO MobileMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k8mr@rrl.net
Subject: [3830] SCQP K8MR SO MobileMixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2021 19:36:21 +0000
                    South Carolina QSO Party - 2021

Call: K8MR
Operator(s): K8MR
Station: K8MR

Class: SO MobileMixed LP
QTH: SC
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:
   80:   45
   40:  505      7
   20:  186      3
   15:    4
   10:
    6:
----------------------------
Total:  740     10      0  CW Mults = 46  Ph Mults = 4  Dig Mults = 0  Total
Score = 149,800

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I would not ordinarily leave Florida in February to drive north, but we had a
new grandson arrive in Cleveland on Feb.2. My wife had been up there since late
January, so I was due for a trip north to see the new arrival and eventually
bring the XYL back to Florida to thaw out. The opportunity to spend the miles in
the Carolinas doing a mobile contest was too much to pass up.

I did this single op, me doing the driving. So I do a lot of operating while
parked, and then largely post-pileup operating while driving, recording the
contest for later transcription. Since operating must take a moment to moment
back seat to safe driving, I do occasionally suddenly go quiet, perhaps leaving
callers wondering where I went. It's not anything you did.

Compared to other mobile reports, my problems were small, but I had two. While
slowly pulling out from a roadside park in Denmark in Bamberg county, carefully
avoiding some large water filled dips, a HamStick went flying into the road. The
antenna survived, but not the mount which had been repaired a few years ago. So
for the rest of the weekend changing bands required stopping to change the
antenna.

I also had several recording problems, which likely lost a couple of hundred
QSOs off the numbers reported above. I'll be in touch with the sponsors to let
them know the details of where not-in-log QSOs were real QSOs that got screwed
up on my end.

As it got dark, after a good run while parked in Newberry county, I decided the
combination of curves, hills, and headlights were a good reason not to be
operating while driving. That plus a meal break when I reached I-26 accounted
for my missing hour. When I stopped I had texts from two buddies wondering I was
OK since they had not heard me for a while, but I was indeed fine.

It was a blast operating the event, with great rates and lots of friends calling
in. While I'm not likely to be back for future SC/NCQPs, do look for me on the
road in Florida in April and Ohio in August !

73  -  Jim   K8MR