[3830] ARRLDX SSB VE4GV SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB VE4GV SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2021 01:33:45 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: VE4GV
Operator(s): VE4GV
Station: VE4GV

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: MB
Operating Time (hrs): 9:12

  160:    1     1
   80:    7     6
   40:   27    20
   20:  336    76
   15:   29    17
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  400   119  Total Score = 144,000

Club: Radiosport Manitoba

Comments:

Saturday was very frustrating. I couldn't get any runs going at all, even though
I hard no other VE4s on any band. After spending the entire first day S&P,
struggling to work the first 150 qsos (and listening to stations constantly tell
me "Thanks for the mult!"...Arghh)it was a struggle to continue. 15
never opened from up here and sigs from Eu were barely above my local noise.

I woke Sunday to find much improved conditions to EU on 20 and finally found a
run frequency at around 15:20 UTC  The next two hours were great. Although it
sometimes was a struggle to hear the weak signals through the local noise, I had
a couple of 150 Q/hr for the next 2 hours, including calls from 4X, HZ and SV.
(When was the last time THAT happened from VE4...years ago??)

VE6SV they sent me email with recording of my pileup, heard from his station.
What a difference!! It was almost painful listening to me struggle with the
calls, when HIS station heard them so clearly. I guess that what happens with a
quiet location, big towers and lots of high aluminum, like he has. I miss being
there (and PJ2T!!)

After Saturday, I was seriously wondering whether it was ever worth it to try DX
tests from my QTH ever again...even on the high bands. With essentially no 10
and 15....and It being SO noisy on 20-160 with my (10-40)antennas pointed to EU
(power lines 30 feet away, cable, phone, E-noise) I was thinking domestic tests
would be all that was left for me from this location...or going to VE6SV. but
then Sunday's pileup gave me some hope that with better condx, it still may be
fun from home.

Thanks for all the Qs. My apologies to those who had to repeat their calls
multiple times or if I was unable to pull you thru.  The "Thanks for the
mult" comments made it all worthwhile.

73  Rib VE4GV