[3830] ARRLDX SSB PJ2T M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ghoward@kent.edu
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB PJ2T M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2021 12:21:13 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: PJ2T
Operator(s): N1ZZ WB5ZGA K4JC AF4Z W0CG
Station: PJ2T

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Curacao
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  364    49
   80:  718    54
   40: 2372    59
   20: 2719    59
   15: 2263    54
   10:   21     3
-------------------
Total: 8457   278  Total Score = 7,044,798

Club: CCC

Comments:

For the third year in a row we were fortunate to have the station piloted by
members of the Platinum Coast Amateur Radio Society, Melbourne, Florida. Their
group was the last to operate at PJ2T in ARRL SSB 2020 before the pandemic
landed. Ironically, they were the first to reactivate PJ2T after a calendar year
of pandemic-induced downtime. Their trip was again led by Dan (N1ZZ), a member
of the PJ2T CCC club and founder of West Mountain Radio. Walter (WB5ZGA), Vince
(K4JC), and Don (AF4Z) rounded out their four person team, and I filled in on
the radios here and there. They did a very nice job on the air as they develop
their already excellent skills, and we particularly welcome Vince for his first
ever visit to Curacao.

Conditions were atrocious compared to the CW weekend. Saturday was average, but
we managed only 12 Qs on 10, 9 of which were TX. Sunday was very much below
average, with a terrible auroral buzz on the high bands and only a handful more
Qs on 10. Rates were compromised by the noise and unsteady signal levels.

This was a multi/multi lite. The guys all wanted more operating time than an M/S
or M/2 would afford, and they were rock solid manning all shifts on the M/M,
trooping on very well with minimum sleep as, of course, that's what contesters
do. After the contest ended they fired up the rigs again Sunday night and
operated further.

I thank this crew for their superb willingness to work hard and get dirty
tackling projects at the station. We took down broken antenna parts, repaired
them, and put them back up. We reinstalled a five element yagi that had been on
the ground over a year awaiting reinstallation. They fixed broken chairs, ran
down a problem that had taken out an AL-1200, pitched in on a concrete project,
did many other projects, and in general were WONDERful in helping get the
station back in shape after a year of deferred maintenance. On Wednesday Walter
and Vince and I made a full day trip to town to work on a rotor problem at the
VERONA club station. HUGE thanks to Walter, who is the first climber I have had
here to help in a very long time. And Dan very kindly brought several important
items in his checked luggage that I had Amazoned to his home the week prior to
the trip.

All the equipment and software were solid all weekend, with zero problems.
Thanks K8PGJ and KB7Q for functioning DVRs in the K3s.

Thanks as usual to the CCC membership who make the continued existence of this
place possible, to KB7Q for handling the logs, W3HNK the cards, and K8ND Logbook
of the World. And a special thanks to Dorothy, who brought food, her endlessly
pleasant smile, and good conversation to the table three times a day all week. I
would be lost without her.

We have no team for WPX SSB because many are still reluctant to travel, but
Dorothy and I will be on site and we'll see what we can work up for an
operation. Travel into and back out of Curacao is very straightforward, and the
COVID management scheme put in place by the government here is easy to navigate,
rational, and professionally and courteously managed.

PJ2T will be back up full throttle going forward, with particularly big
operations in CQWW, both modes.

   Thanks for the Qs, 73,

       - Geoff, W0CG/PJ2DX for the PJ2T gang