[3830] Commonwealth G4BUO SO-Open-24 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dave@g4buo.com
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth G4BUO SO-Open-24 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 22:52:42 +0000
                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest - 2021

Call: G4BUO
Operator(s): G4BUO
Station: G4BUO

Class: SO-Open-24 HP
QTH: Hertfordshire, UK
Operating Time (hrs): 21
Radios: SO2R

   80:   51      800
   40:   72     1120
   20:  112     1300
   15:   19      380
   10:    3       60
-----------------------
Total:  257     3660  Total Score = 4,920

Club:

Comments:

Last year I travelled to East Suffolk and operated Beru from the M6T station,
just a few days before the lockdown. Current restrictions meant I couldn't go
there this year, and actually the 15m stack didn't survive the recent winds -
tower is ok but lower yagi is now vertically polarised. So, I was interested to
see how I could do from home, buoyed by a satisfactory performance in CQWW CW
from this QTH with a single tribander.

My major tactical error was not to pay enough attention to 40 and 80 once it got
dark. I stayed on 20 as long as possible and then took a break, figuring that
I'd have all night to work the low bands but signals on both dropped
dramatically and I think I lost out on a lot of regular VE3 QSOs on both bands.
Schoolboy error!

Great to work James 9V1YC right at the start on 15 though I had to wait my turn
in the pile, and then on Sunday morning on 20m he was coming in on the long
path, got him first call. This QTH is near the top of a hill sloping to the
west, so that's my best direction. Happy to work six ZLs on the 80m Sunday
morning long path opening, shame not to get all of them on 40 and especially
20m!

K3 + HF Gemini
K3 + Ten-Tec Centurion
Win-Test 4.34.1