[3830] Commonwealth VA3AMX SO-Restricted-24 QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, va3amx@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth VA3AMX SO-Restricted-24 QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 01:07:15 +0000
                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest - 2021

Call: VA3AMX
Operator(s): VA3AMX
Station: VA3AMX

Class: SO-Restricted-24 QRP
QTH: Ottawa
Operating Time (hrs): 8

   80:  11       275
   40:  21       525
   20:  30       490
   15:   0         0
   10:   0         0
-----------------------
Total:  62      1290  Total Score = 1,290

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

This year's attempt was with a new antenna. I installed, during the summer, a
multi-band vertical (Hy-Gain DX-88) ground mounted.Antenna performed OK compared
to last year with the W3EDP antenna. I'm not sure if I can get better than this
on my small city lot. This year rig was the new (to me) IC-7300 at 5W. The
filters and adjustments much more flexible and apparently more efficient than my
trusty Elecraft K2. I am still learning how to use this radio which has great
features, but missed the simplicity of the K2. Conditions were fine early on
Saturday to me. I started on 40M with a VK4 and 6Y5 station. On 20M later, I
heard 5Z4VJ calling alone and after a couple of retries, I think he got me. If
confirmed, Kenya will be a new one for me. I end up finishing earlier (around
mid-night EST) as the bands were totally dead for me. Only the big station in
Ontario calling CQ without answers. Overall, I like this contest without the
usual competition and wall from our American friend, which is usually a barrier
for QRP signals. Thanks everyone for the nice QSOs and stay safe and healthy.
73/72 VA3AMX, Eric