[3830] TBDC AJ6T Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, AJ6T@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] TBDC AJ6T Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 18:13:15 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Spring

Call: AJ6T
Operator(s): AJ6T
Station: AJ6T

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EM66 TN
Operating Time (hrs): 8:30

Total:  QSOs = 208  Total Score = 1,030

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

Wow, what an interesting and enjoyable contest this turned out to be
despite problems with local RFI, thunderstorm QRN and a high K-index.
I started at 1500 UTC, well after local sunrise in Tennessee, and only
found two nearby stations to work.  Nothing like the DX that was available
at the start of the Stew when I operated from California.  I returned to
the shack late in the day only to find that some local buzzsaw RFI and
thunderstorm static made operation impossible.  Later, after all that had
quieted down I discovered that propagation was excellent.  I was even able
to hold a run frequency with some success.  I put several Europeans in the
log.  LZ5R was especially loud.  Many west coast stations were quite solid.
A lot of signals had auroral flutter.  Activity dropped way off in the
wee hours, so an all-night effort was not warranted.  I should have gotten
up for sunrise DX, but I'm getting too old now for that sort of thing.
More receive antennas would have helped, but there were plenty of signals
heard on the transmit antenna.
Rig: K3s 100 watts    Antennas: T-vertical, northeast Beverage
73, Walt, AJ6T