[3830] ARRLDX SSB WA2VYA SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wa2vya@msn.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB WA2VYA SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 18:30:10 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: WA2VYA
Operator(s): WA2VYA
Station: WA2VYA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CEDAR CREEK, TEXAS
Operating Time (hrs): 12:58

  160:    5     5
   80:    0     0
   40:   35    25
   20:   52    27
   15:   48    23
   10:   22     5
-------------------
Total:  162    85  Total Score = 41,310

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

ICOM IC-706MkIIG, AT-180 Tuner, 100 Watts output on 160m, early 20m QSOs and all
15m QSOs; or

ICOM IC-706MkIIG, Ameritron AL-80B amplifier 500 Watts output on 40m, later 20m
QSOs and 10m.

This was not SO2R.  It was changing from a tuner to an amp and from an amp to a
tuner, depending upon what band I was going to operate on.  By unscrewing the
coax from each device and connecting it to the other device.  Not a rate
booster, for sure.

160m Inverted Vee up 11m with 2:1 SWR and tuner, limited to 100 watts output;

80m No Antenna - Zero output, Zero QSOs;

40m: R8 vertical up 3.8m (used below 7.150 MHz), 500 watts output;
40m: 40m dipole up 3.5m (used for 7.150 and above), 500 watts output;

20m: R8 vertical up 3.8m, (early QSOs barefoot while testing antenna), later
QSOs 500 watts output;

15m: R8 vertical up 3.8m (high SWR and intermittent condition with infinite
SWR), limited to 100 watts output;

10m: R8 vertical up 3.8m, 500 watts output.

Working on improving antennas, but far from finished. Was not intending to enter
the contest at all.  Decided to use the opportunity to test out the antennas.
Results were mixed.

Tested 160m inverted vee with a high SWR and Tuner; and
R8 vertical with new base mount and added height to place the antenna 3.8m above
the ground.

R8 has an intermittent condition on 17m, 15m and 12m.  Discovered the problem on
17m before the contest.  Discovered the problem on 15m and 12m during the
contest.  Do not know the cause of the intermittent condition.  Bought an
expensive antenna analyzer after the contest to figure it out.

160m Inverted Vee and R8 performed better after moving them higher, despite SWR
and intermittent issues.  Some stations actually heard me first call and did not
require multiple repeats of my callsign or State.

None of my antenna problems related to the February, 2021, snow and ice storm
here in Texas.  The antennas were taken down weeks before the storm and were not
operational during the storm.

Band conditions were terrible, as everyone noted. The vast majority of my
contacts were with the Americas.  Most of the small number of Europeans I could
hear, could not hear me.

Had a constant S5 local noise level on all bands, unrelated to the poor band
conditions.

Highlight was working KH7M, operated by friend Fred, NA2U, on 5 bands (should
have put up my 80m antenna). 160m QSO with Fred was with 100 watts and tuner on
my end.  We must all cherish the small victories.

Log was submitted to ARRL before the deadline.

Thanks for the QSOs and 73, Frank WA2VYA